Weissbier Paulaner-style Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried your recipe w/ some variants. I lived in Mannheim for 3 years and am mad I didn't smuggle anything back ('cept for some Rhinehessen wine)! The local HBS had a shady part timer, and were out of half everything. They told me just to use this:

4 oz Weyerman Light Munich Malt (2 row)
6# Muntons Wheat DME
1 oz Hallertau pellets (3%) (.6 @ 60, .4 @ 15)
1 pk Wyeast 3056

My OG came out to 1.057 (tested twice) and saved 35 oz gyle. Did I get that good of an efficency? Do you make a starter for krausening? Don't know if there is enough yeast in suspension to carb.

Thanks for the recipe!

With a gravity that high I bet you only used 5 gals of water, huh?

I usually use just under 5.5 and leave some to loss to sampling and racking.

I went to Mannheim once (by mistake), but I've been to Hammond Barracks in Seckenheim dozens of times. I usually stayed at the Lowen and frequented the Golden Engel gasthaus. I lived in Bamberg for 5 years and Augsburg for 4.

went to my LHBS yesterday and picked up the ingredients for this brew, but they did not have either of the yeasts you suggested in, nor any other liquid hefe yeasts.

So I got 2 packets of dry Safbrew WB-06. Everything online says it gives a traditional hefeweizen character, but just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Also recommendations for priming? assuming just the standard 5 oz per 5 gallon batch.

Finally why the small boil? is it a matter of necessity or a choice? I would think that a larger boil (at least 2.5 to 3 gallons like most basic instructions) would lend more to clarity and cut down on carmelization.

Thanks for a proven hefeweizen and cheers!

With a gravity that high I bet you only used 5 gals of water, huh?

I usually use just under 5.5 and leave some to loss to sampling and racking.

Yeah, i guess i started with about 5.25 and ended up a hair under 5. Checked the grav today and tasted what I tested; still high but so far so good! Def some banana and either clove or vanilla, but still needs time in the primary cause it was pretty sweet. Thanks again.

went to my LHBS yesterday and picked up the ingredients for this brew, but they did not have either of the yeasts you suggested in, nor any other liquid hefe yeasts.

So I got 2 packets of dry Safbrew WB-06. Everything online says it gives a traditional hefeweizen character, but just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Also recommendations for priming? assuming just the standard 5 oz per 5 gallon batch.

Finally why the small boil? is it a matter of necessity or a choice? I would think that a larger boil (at least 2.5 to 3 gallons like most basic instructions) would lend more to clarity and cut down on carmelization.

Thanks for a proven hefeweizen and cheers!
By choice really. I've been doing small boils since 1994. Clarity and carmelization are kept low because I only boil 1 lb of DME or an equivilent of grains.

I don't have any reference for using Safbrew WB-06. I only use liquids for my HWs. IMO if you don't use the right yeast you're just brewing an American Wheat. Let me know how it comes out.

5 oz priming sugar will be enough.

Here's a pic of some HW before swirling the yeast from the bottle...looks pretty clear and light to me...

P1140801.JPG

I've been meaning to try this recipe out so I went to my LHBS today to stock up on supplies. The owner informed me that most if not all Wheat DME is actually pre-mixed so that I wouldn't be needing to use anything but the wheat DME. Does anyone know if the extract they were using was pure wheat or pre-mixed? I want to make sure that I don't add XL DME to a wort that doesn't need it and end up with an overly sweet/concentrated brew. I'm assuming that as long as you end up with around 6# of DME you'll be solid, are there any obvious drawbacks to using just what they sell as Wheat DME?

Turned out quite good; pretty strong with a little sour aftertaste (SWMBO couldn't tell) and after only 2 days down half the brew!

3412783555_32b734cb7d.jpg

And for the color, even though the pic is blurry....

3413582350_2571f5e905.jpg

Prost!

BTW, I have dubbed this installment as my "Hue Heffner." Made me giggle, although somebody had to think of that already. If not I just might be a genius....

Just brewed 5gals. I was surprised that the color was on the darker side. I was going to ferment/condition for 2-3 weeks then keg/bottle and drink.

I've been meaning to try this recipe out so I went to my LHBS today to stock up on supplies. The owner informed me that most if not all Wheat DME is actually pre-mixed so that I wouldn't be needing to use anything but the wheat DME. Does anyone know if the extract they were using was pure wheat or pre-mixed? I want to make sure that I don't add XL DME to a wort that doesn't need it and end up with an overly sweet/concentrated brew. I'm assuming that as long as you end up with around 6# of DME you'll be solid, are there any obvious drawbacks to using just what they sell as Wheat DME?
Chances are the wheat is already pre-mixed 55% wheat/45% barley, or something close to it. ;)

Just brewed 5gals. I was surprised that the color was on the darker side. I was going to ferment/condition for 2-3 weeks then keg/bottle and drink.

I thought the SRM was off the charts when I put it in the carboy; I called it an "Off Hue Heffner" then changed it after I bottled it. Wait til you bottle it, or take a hydro test. What is the color then?

Don't mean to step on any more experienced toes....

Pauli and Franzakander are MY drinks with Erdringer and julis Echter in a close second, and was wondering if this recipe can be accomplished by a first time brewer.. Or should I start out with something more generic?

Im still in the reading/researching phase

Pauli and Franzakander are MY drinks with Erdringer and julis Echter in a close second, and was wondering if this recipe can be accomplished by a first time brewer.. Or should I start out with something more generic?

Im still in the reading/researching phase
Yes, you can make this taste great the first time out...just don't use LME or else it'll be too dark...if you use LME it's all good too, just too dark.;)

I used DME - the color has gotten lighter with time. I used Mt Hood at 6% for my hops since thats all I had. Is that going to make this funky? I also used about .55-.6oz.

I know there have been some serious debates on conditioning, but do Hefes not have to condition as long? I have never kegged sooner than 5 weeks but I really want to try this beer.

I usually use 1/2 oz of 6% (only 3AAs) for a batch of HW when using 6 lbs of DME.

Lots of people say they prefer a young HW, but I secondary all of mine to reduce the amount of yeast going into the bottle/keg. Even an overnight secondary will get good results...3 days better.;)

After that you can keg. With kegging you can actually drink this beer in as little as 2 weeks. IMO that's too early because the more yeast you have in suspension the gassier you'll get.:eek: I prefer 3-4 weeks, 5-6 weeks if bottle conditioning.

The only issue I have with this recipe is that it should only be made in 10 gallon batches.

I went to shake my keg to stir up the yeast, and the damn thing is almost empty ALREADY!

:(

I usually use 1/2 oz of 6% (only 3AAs) for a batch of HW when using 6 lbs of DME.

Lots of people say they prefer a young HW, but I secondary all of mine to reduce the amount of yeast going into the bottle/keg. Even an overnight secondary will get good results...3 days better.;)

After that you can keg. With kegging you can actually drink this beer in as little as 2 weeks. IMO that's too early because the more yeast you have in suspension the gassier you'll get.:eek: I prefer 3-4 weeks, 5-6 weeks if bottle conditioning.

Thanks. I will do the same.

Hey y'all -

I brewed this up on 4/4/09 and had an OG of 1.050. I took a gravity reading today (4/18/09) and got 1.016. Should I wait to keg? I have the carboy sitting in a tub of water so I can control the temperature...should I warm it up a bit?

Thanks for your help.

I LOVE Hefeweizen and saw this recipe so gave it a try. This is my second time home brewing, my first batch is John Palmer's Cincinnati Pale Ale recipe from his How to Brew beginners page. It's bottle condition right now.

Here's my brew log. Sorry for the long post, I am an English teacher so I am a little wordy.

____

3:30pm Sun May 3

Paulaner style Hefe Weizen

OG 1.050

Pitching temp: 66 degrees F

Capped with a carboy cap and blow off tube and put in closet, steady temp between 65-69 degrees.

Noteworthy Moments:

I bought 6 gallons of spring water. I didn't pre-boil since I was lazy and didn't want to wait for the cool down so I dumped them right into the sanitized carboy. (Any experience with problems with this step??) I sloshed and aerated the carboy while the wort boiled. I examined the water at one point and to my dismay I saw a teeny tiny arm hair floating in the water. AGH! Thinking quick, I put the screen on my funnel, sanitized, and dumped water from the carboy back into one of the water jugs. The hair appeared on the screen by the first gallon.

Then I had a boil over after I added the remaining 5 lbs. of DME. What a pain! I only have a 1.5 gallon brew pot, and I thought I'd be ok with this recipe considering... but man, once that last DME is added at 15 mins left, the foam is ridiculous even with a good 4-5 inches of space between the water and the top of the brew pot. Any advice on this step?

Finally, I had a thermometer problem. While cooling the wort in an ice water and salt bath, I used my trusty digital probe thermometer to monitor the cool. I was worried right off the bat. It read 200 degrees for the first 2-3 minutes of the cool and didn't drop much during the next 5 minutes. It finally leveled off at around 150 degrees. Something seemed wrong. 25 mins had gone by! I sent my wife to the store to get another bag of ice. While she was gone I pulled the probe and it still read 150! D'oh! Broken thermometer! The side of the brew pot was cool. I added it to the carboy and the strip thermometer held a steady 66 degrees.

Lag time:
When I got home from work at around 3:30pm on Monday, there were small round specks of bright white forming on top of the wort. On my first brew, this long after pitching the fermentation had already started. Due to the lack of any noticeable fermentation I feared the worst. I initially thought this was an infection, that the bubbles were balls of fuzz, but no =) I took a closer look and saw that they were tight clumps of small bubbles. These rapidly covered the surface within 8 hours. Before I went to bed I swapped the cap for a 3 piece airlock since it seemed like such a slow fermentation.

Wrong. VIGOROUS fermentation started earnestly over night. I woke up at 4:00am on Tuesday morning and went and checked on it. The airlock had filled with krausen. I had the cap and blow off tube soaking in the one-step solution in the closet and swapped them. The airlock had clogged and some pressure had built up rather significantly, splattering a bit of gunk on the wall.

Wednesday morning the kreusen receded and I put the airlock back on. As of 7:00pm Wednesday it's still at it, a good roiling fermentation that is really fun to watch.

Considering the snags I had during the brew process (non-boiled spring water, the arm hair, lots of panicky time in the chiller bath and I am thinking a few drops of water from my hand might have made it into the work) I am hoping for the best!

This was the second beer I ever brewed. Very good extract recipe; it scored 2nd place at local contest here in Portland. I kept in primary for a month...I used 3068 (I still do not know how to find the blend) fermented at 68-70. It took about another month or so in the bottle before it peeked. I only have two left which is sad...it is definitely a crowd pleaser.

Would Danstar Munich Wheat Beer yeast be an appropriate substitute in this recipe ? Having difficulty finding the 3068 yeast.

Would Danstar Munich Wheat Beer yeast be an appropriate substitute in this recipe ? Having difficulty finding the 3068 yeast.

Munich is kind of a milder yeast. It does produce nice esters, but not like the smack packs. I am going to brew an American Wheat with it Monday.

Munich is kind of a milder yeast. It does produce nice esters, but not like the smack packs. I am going to brew an American Wheat with it Monday.

My supplier is suggesting the following alternative yeasts to 3068

1) Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

or

2) Safbrew WB - 06

Any thoughts on these ?

Also does it make any difference if I use light DME instead of extra light DME ?

Thanks

or

2) Safbrew WB - 06

Any thoughts on these ?

Also does it make any difference if I use light DME instead of extra light DME ?

Thanks

I think the consensus is that you will be disappointed with the WB-06. I have used it with good results in a Weissenbock, but don't think I would use it in a Hefe. I've never used 1010.

It will probably be hard to tell the difference between using extra light and light DME in this recipe. There is not a major difference between the two. If you were making a super light style you might could tell.

Homebrewer 99,

Your notes said it was not as sweet as a Roth HW from Schweinfurt. You didn't mean a Rother Brau Hefeweizen, did you?

Homebrewer 99,

Your notes said it was not as sweet as a Roth HW from Schweinfurt. You didn't mean a Rother Brau Hefeweizen, did you?
I'm pretty sure it's Roth.

If you are standing in front of, but your back facing, the Rathaus in Schweinfurt look across the open area (marketplatz) and up the road. It's on your right, just a couple hundred meters from the Rathaus. It is a fairly sweet HW. I've never been able to reach and maintain that particular sweetness and flvaor.

or

2) Safbrew WB - 06

Any thoughts on these ?

Thanks
Well, the thing is you have to use the proper yeast to get the flavor you want. If you didn't use a German HW yeast then you made something other the a German-style HW.

Technically speaking, all wheat beers are made of the same ingredients - a combination of wheat and barley, whether all grain, LME or DME. The main ingredient that makes them stand apart is the yeast. The yeast defines the character of the flavor. ;)

This was the second beer I ever brewed. Very good extract recipe; it scored 2nd place at local contest here in Portland. I kept in primary for a month...I used 3068 (I still do not know how to find the blend) fermented at 68-70. It took about another month or so in the bottle before it peeked. I only have two left which is sad...it is definitely a crowd pleaser.
You know, I had mine in the primary for 34 days (I had a heart attack and couldn't lift, etc.). Mine came in as Best of Show and Best of Style...first contest ever entered...:rockin:

I still smile to myself whenever some poster insist on drinking this right out of the primary to the keg. After it's done fermenting I always rack it to a secondary to clear out the sulfur odors and to allow more yeast to fall out. I will add some of the yeast back in if it gets too clear.

I usually will not drink my HWs if they are under 1 month old. I also have kept them for over 6 months and they are still quite tasty...enough to get compliments on anyway. ;)

At which temp is the secondary for this weizen? Can I do it at the ambient temp?

Dom

At which temp is the secondary for this weizen? Can I do it at the ambient temp?

Dom

I rarely secondary anything, particularly wheat beers.

My current weizen has been fermenting at about 62*F for the past week. I am taking it out of the cooler tonight to give it a couple of weeks at room temp. Then, into the keg for a couple of weeks of carbing and aging. Should be very nice by the time I get back from camping.

Hi all,

Thinking about brewing this up in a few weeks, but had a couple questions. What are people getting for IBU's? Also, what is normal for the style? Also, someone else mentioned the small boil, would it hurt this beer to do a larger boil, or is there no reason as everyone says it takes great as is? Is Munich Malt 10L the same or equivalent to the Briess 6-Row? Thanks in advance, can't wait to enjoy this brew in the heat of August here in Nashville.

Would there be any benefit in doing a partial mash version of this recipe? If so, does anyone have the grain bill available for a PM.

I haven't stepped into all-grain yet and I really enjoy doing the partial mashing.

brewed up my second batch of this about a week ago. just bottled today. this was delicious the first time...with a little extra lactose and some orange peel might even be better the second!!! thanks op!!

Zack

Back