American Wheat split batch - Cherry Wheat and Peach Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrstevenund

Reaction score
I just bought the ingredients for an American Wheat, which I plan on splitting into thirds - plain, cherry and peach.

6.5 gallon batch

8 lbs 2-Row
5 lbs Wheat malt
2 lbs flaked wheat
1 lb carapils

1.25 oz Tettnanger @ 60 min
.75 oz Tettnanger @ 2 min

WLP320 American Hefe yeast

Single Infusion - 60 min at 154F
Mashout - 10 min at 170F
Boil 60 min.
OG 1.063 @ 6.5 gallons (BIAB)
FG 1.018 - 5.9% ABV

7 days or so in primary
Split batch:
  • Rack 2 gallons into a keg (American Wheat)
  • Rack 2 gallons onto 2lbs of fresh peaches, skinned and pitted. frozen at least overnight. (Peach Wheat)
  • Rack 2 gallons onto 2lbs of fresh sweet cherries (Rainer or other local
    "Sweet" cherries), pitted and halved. frozen at least overnight. (Cherry Wheat)

What kind of sanitation issues should I be worried about? Just use a sanitized cutting board and knife? Anything I should change?

How did these come out? Looks like you covered your bases, you can also microwave the fruit to sanitize but i dont like doing that

Peach turned out good, started out good, but then started gaining a sour note. I bottled the last of it to share with friends, and still have a few in the fridge. I'll sample them when I clean out the fridge to install shanks/taps this weekend.

The Cherry was dumped. I couldn't drink it. Too much medicine flavor.

The plain was ok. Nothing to write home about. I'll try a different base if I do this again. I actually have a bit of it left in the keg when I pulled it out to make room for another keg. Probably will be dumped too.

As far as the sanatization - I dunked the whole fruit in starsan, and as I was cutting it up kept the cutting board wet with starsan.

Overall, besides changing the base beer, I'm not sure what I'd do differently.

When I do cherry wheat I use the frozen bag cherries from the grocery store. Never had a sanitation issue. The flash freezing usually kills everything. You may have used too many cherries, hence the medicinal taste. I usually use 2-3 pounds for a 5 gallon batches.

Back