Home bar build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Below are some photographs of the last part of the bar top. I was saving this until last because I knew it was going to be tricky getting all the joinery accurate around the coffin corners. But...as you can see, I managed to get it done.

The last photo shows the sanded surface just prior to staining.

Almost there...

103_0253.jpg

103_0255.jpg

103_0257.jpg

103_0259.jpg

103_0261.jpg

So...all stain applied and first coat of polyurethane applied. The second pic had my wife freaking out because it looked quite shiny enough before scuffing the surface ready for another coat. I used 400 grit sandpaper to scuff the surface so that I wouldn't accidentally go too deep and remove stain also. The removable panels on the front and back side of the keezer were take off to make it easier to varnish them.

The third pic is 4 coats later. The standard black Perlick handles have been replaced with some nice pub style pulls (Note: I have 575 taps installed. They have the creamer function where you push the handle away from you. I found out the hard way that the big pub-style handles are just heavy enough with the top hinged open to overcome the tap spring tension and drizzle creamy beer all over the place. Glad I installed that drip tray!)

The last pic shows that I have some shelving to finish and install some wine glass hangers.

Dave

103_0262.jpg

103_0263.jpg

103_0265.jpg

103_0266.jpg

looks awesome! how much overhang do you have for the bar? also, would you mind sending me the google sketchup files? Thanks!

looks awesome! how much overhang do you have for the bar? also, would you mind sending me the google sketchup files? Thanks!

First, the overhang prior to installing the bar rail is 8 inches. With the bar rail mounted you end up with a little over 9 inches overhang.

Second, send me a PM with your email address and I'll be happy to send you the SketchUp file which looks like what you see below.

Keezer Bar-with Tower.jpg

I think I'm going to copy a lot of this great build!

What is the dimensions of your coffin and how spaced out are your taps?

I think I'm going to copy a lot of this great build!

What is the dimensions of your coffin and how spaced out are your taps?

Thanks for the praise, it was a lot of fun to build and I am really happy with the results.

The taps are on 4 inch centres.

Do you have Google SketchUp? I'd be happy to send you the file. If not, give me a few days and I can upload a hand sketch for you to look at.

Best,

Dave

Just came across this, and looking to do something extremely similar for my home bar build this winter. Sent you a PM, and also noticed you were in Chicago, as I am myself!

Awesome build! Everything is so well planned and well crafted. I am very much looking forward to buying a house in the next year, then I will do a build of my own.

Super Nice Build! I was just given a bunch of smaller pieces of tongue and grove Maple flooring that I've earmarked for a bar as well. I may be borrowing some of your ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Great job on this build! One question that comes to mind is it seems that after you did your finish work you lost the ability to open the Keezer. Is there enough of a lip to open, or do you have to remove the front panel to do so? Thanks!

Great job on this build! One question that comes to mind is it seems that after you did your finish work you lost the ability to open the Keezer. Is there enough of a lip to open, or do you have to remove the front panel to do so? Thanks!

Good question. The front lip of the lid has a 1/2" overhang. This is plenty to get your fingertips under to lift the lid. Soon I will be installing gas struts to make opening the [heavy] lid easier.

D

wow! absolutely beautiful work! Would love to build something similar someday. subscribed for future reference. enjoy that bar! :mug:

Back