electric brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a design that used water heater elements. I thought about putting something together like that.

Yeah, I really want to do the complete brewing process in my basement so I am looking for an effective, safe way to brew without ventilation. I have read several articles about using hot water elements but I want to talk to someone who actually does it.

Somebody , I can't remember who, posted awhile back about using a hot water heater as a brew kettle. He was a college kid, and in a frat., that's all I can remember about him. It seemed like a good idea. I'd thimk putting heating elements in your brew kettle would be pretty slow as well as sticky if you do extracts. A high powered, industrial crock pot setup, or even an electric stove would let you brew safely in the basement.

barside laundry said:
Has anyone used electric heating elements in the brew pot?

T get something like the pictures at the top of this page ?

It's a UK site but a google on the manufacturers names might produce some US suppliers

HTH

80/-

I have the Electrim 5 Gallon Boiler and simply love it. The only draw back is that it requires 220. If you have access to one I would strongly recommend it.

TD

I have a Ritchie Bruheat electric boiler and am very pleased with it. It's easy to use and the thermostat gives good control over the boil. I just set it up under the cooker extraction fan and away it goes.

Supposedly you can use it for mashing as well but I haven't tested this out. I guess it depends on how consistent the thermostat is at keeping an even temperature or whether the temp see-saws a lot.

just use a hot plate, thats how i brewed in the barracks at my first duty station!! its just a little thing with one or 2 electric burners on it. no need to get all fancy, just buy a cheap hot plate!! :)

The big problem with water heater elements is they will carmelize the wort. Several homebrewers in the area have tried them, both for mash recirculators and wort kettles. The elements get too hot, burn the wort and they are a pain to clean.

A cheap hot plate is a much better approach. I'm seriously considering one for the mash tun.

Back