No Rinse Cleaner Need to Dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joesixpack

Reaction score
My beer has been fermenting for 7 days now and i checked the gravity which read 1.014 recommended FG is 1.012 - 1.015 so i think i'm good to put into second fermentation bucket. Question is after using a no rinse cleaner do i need to wait for it to dry or can put the beer in the bucket with a little no rinse solution as well or should i dry it off with a clean towel?

Thanks!

There can be some solution just make sure there isn't a lot. No need to use a towel just rinse and add.

You want to let most of it drip off, but I don't worry about little bits hanging on. Do not use a towel to dry it off. I would, however, advocate leaving it in primary for another week before moving it. BTW, what are you using the secondary for?

You want to let most of it drip off, but I don't worry about little bits hanging on. Do not use a towel to dry it off. I would, however, advocate leaving it in primary for another week before moving it. BTW, what are you using the secondary for?
Okay that's what i thought. I was going to pass on the second fermentation bucket but thought there would less sediment and sludge at the bottom of the bucket when it come time to put into my keg. I was planning on leaving it another week in the secondary. From what I’ve read it sounds like it might not matter much, maybe a personal preference.

I like to rinse with a little distilled or preboiled water to dilute it a little after all the no rinse you use in bottles carboys hoses hydromenter readings caps i would guess at least a tablespoon of it accumulates into the beer,thats why i rinse.Im shure there is no effect and is nothing significant,I just dont like it being in the beer.

What is your no rinse cleaner?

Are we talking about StarSan - a no rinse sanitizer? or something else.

If it truly is just a cleaner, you should be sanitizing as well.

No rinse is not technically a sanitizer so says the fda I would never listen to a organization that states we have no fundamental right to the foods we eat.But they alow hundreds of thousands to use dangerous pharmacuticals and die from it, but this is an off topic whole nother issue.
Im saying use it its perfectly fine.I always shake it if i dont rinse it off.

From what I've read on here, no rinse sanitizer will not impact the flavor of the beer or cause any health problems from consumption.

As for letting it dry, its not necessary. As long as whatever you sanitized is still wet, it will kill any dirt or germs that come in contact with it. If it dries out, you become exposed to possible contaminants again...although, it would be pretty hard to get an infection this way unless you become really careless with the rest of your brewing process.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I've used bleach (wilth tap water rinsing), one step with no rinsing, and now I use star san. All work well but star san is easiest so far. None of them did anything but make good beer though. I think the whole sanitizer debate is really a matter of preference... and I prefer star san.

If you dry, don't "wipe out with a towel" just turn over and air dry. Using the the towel there is an possibility you contaminate what you just sanitized.

You shouldn't need to rinse at all. I use Star-san all the time and sometimes i rinse and sometimes i don't. So far i have not noticed a difference between the two.

As far as StarSan goes, it is a no-rinse, meaning just that. No rinsing required. And if you let it dry, the sanitizing effect is gone, so use it wet. It won't hurt anything.

I'm not sure about other sanitizers, but I would assume as long as it is labeled no-rinse, there shouldn't be a need to let it dry either. Drain as well as possible, but then move forward.

I use Star-San also and as long as the pool at the bottom is gone, I'll use whatever vessel it's sanitizing pretty quickly. Even if it's half full of bubbles (the bubbles actually help keep it wet and sanitized). I've never once tasted it, and it's never hurt me.
Heck, I even tasted a small cap full of it once to see what it tastes like. It doesn't really have much of a taste honestly.

Star-San only needs to be in contact for 30 seconds also according to the directions, so that's the least that I'll let something sit before I use it. I've never had any infections yet either!

Back