Possible infection???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ru41285

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So i brewed an oktoberfest ale about two weeks ago. It fermented as i expected with an OG of 1.049, very quickly. I have let it rest since in primary and I opened up my ale pail to check on it today and it did not smell as nice as i would hope. In addition, theres this thin white layer over top that almost looks plastic. I've had this happen before when I foolishly made my first mash tun using a PVC pipe which is not tolerant to high temps and i figured it was just a result of that. But this time, no pvc. I used the same system i use every time with an igloo mash tun to my ale pail (sometimes i use a glass carboy but the pail is just easier to use).

I will try to post a picture but I dont know how to upload one on here from my camera. I will add one if i figure it out.

Standard infection? Or is my ale pail getting over used and now the plastic is rubbing off into the brew while it ferments? Thanks a lot, guys.

Sounds like an infection to me. I wouldn't bottle it for a few weeks. Take gravity readings every 2-3 days to see if the gravity is dropping. If it is, you want to make sure it's completely stopped before bottling. If you have a kegging system, I would keg it and drink it as fast as possible.

This is assuming it's an infection though. A picture will help get you a better judgement.

img0213w.jpg

That is the picture I took of it. What you see is my 2.5gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy.

All I see is a red X. You need to post your pictures from an alternate image hosting site since you're not a paid member. Imageshack.org is the one I always used.

Back