Hop Residue during boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceball1

Reaction score
Ok, I finally got back to brewing last night.. Batch #5, AHS promotional IPA..

This used 5oz of hops, and during the boil I noticed that there was alot of hop residue on the side of the pot during the boil. I stirred it back into the boil every 10 minutes or so, thinking that I don't want to lose the flavor.. After the boil, I left the residue in the pot instead of pouring it into my fermenter. The thinking on this was that the flavor had already boiled in and any residue left would just give me more trub to deal with later..

Thoughts?

Yeah it sounds like you were using pellets. I try to stir the residue back in as well. I also leave as much as possible in the kettle.

It'll be fine, the small particles of the pellets always stick to the sides of the kettle. I sometimes use a fine hop bag for pellets because they clog my ball valve. The amount that comes out and sticks to the sides probably doesn't make all that much difference but I push it back in anyway.

Latest posts

Back