One Effect of Underpitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I decided to whip up a beer, quite quickly. I made the starter the night before, and I knew it was too small even when I pitched it. But hey, underpitched beer is better then no beer!

So it was a simple american wheat beer, half wheat, half two row. There are no specialty grains.

I pitched most of an actively fermenting 1 liter pacman starter. Obviously the yeast were still propogating and I didn't have full cell count. The beer started perfectly normal, but the fermentation took far longer than a normal pacman fermentation when pitched properly, especially on a 1.045 OG beer. I did aerate and use nutrient.

So two weeks later, I tasted a sample, the beer is good, quite good, but not at all the clean wheat beer that I was expecting. It has very faint, almost belgian like, estery undertones to it. They are not harsh, or unpleasant, but I think they move the beer from American Wheat to Heffe........so I dry hopped with Ammarilo!

With minimal hopping and specialty malts to mask the flavor, I did learn first hand that stressed yeast producre more esters! I think if I would have accidently let the fermentation rise in temperature I would have had a very unpleasant beer, instead I have a very unique american wheat.

Live and learn. It does come in handy for the times when you want those flavors generated by stressed yeast though!

Yeah, it is tasty in this case, I think the esters produced by high fermentation temps and fussel alcohols can be much, much worse. I bet if I give this beer 4 weeks on the primary cake it will be pretty clean.

Thanks for the observation. I was just reading about this in the "15 tips from pros" in the latest BYO. I like how you described the effects. Not "bad" but definitely not to style.

I had the opposite problem: made a hefe with too large a starter. Yeast finished in ~30 hours, no esters whatsoever. Tasted like boulevard.

Back