false bottom in Boil Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slakwhere

Reaction score
so i have a keggle i've built for AG, and i grabbed a pick up tube that mounts to the side of the keggle. it's leaving a LOT of wort behind. would a false bottom in my BK keep the hops and hot/cold break material out? or would i be better served with a center dip tube and a stainless steel scrubbie?

would whirlpooling have an effect on the answer?

This is what I use. I don't whirlpool. I just put a strainer on top of my fermenter and let everything drain through it. This sucks up everything but maybe a cup of wort.

Keggle Dip Tube.jpg

This is what I use. I don't whirlpool. I just put a strainer on top of my fermenter and let everything drain through it. This sucks up everything but maybe a cup of wort.

I tried this but it would leave about a half gallon behind. Maybe my Kettle has more of a concave bottom and hold more wort. I now use a dip tube with a false bottom. I do drain off the first few ounces so any hot break will not make it to the fermenter.

I use a FB in my BK. I typically only use whole hops and it does a great job stopping them. I don't worry about cold break and use a plate chiller anyway.

I tried this but it would leave about a half gallon behind. Maybe my Kettle has more of a concave bottom and hold more wort. I now use a dip tube with a false bottom. I do drain off the first few ounces so any hot break will not make it to the fermenter.

so you let all the trub settle, and then pour off anything that fell through the false bottom before pouring into the carboy?

so you let all the trub settle, and then pour off anything that fell through the false bottom before pouring into the carboy?

Yeah. I do a whirlpool then after a few minutes I run it through the CF chiller and let the first few drops of hot break and wort run into a cup then I put the rest in the carboy.
very little gets though

I use a FB in my BK. I typically only use whole hops and it does a great job stopping them. I don't worry about cold break and use a plate chiller anyway.

Cold break is not an issue in the fermenter but you do need to keep out the hot break

Why do you need to keep out the hot break? Doesn't it all just settle to the bottom of the fermentor in a nice compact mass?

Back