accidently made 4 gallons versus 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trackumd

Reaction score
I just attempted my first batch and should have but a 5 gallon mark on my 6.5 gallon carboy but didn't and now i am thinking i might have only 4 gallons in there. . . Is there anything i can do now (probably not) and is my batch ruined cause of this?

batch is not ruined.

did you do malt extract, boil 2-4 gallons and add water at the end? If so, you can simply add more water. Try and get the water at the same temperature as your fermentation before you dump it in.

Or let it be. If the fermentation goes as planned, it will be a higher abv beer.

google "John Palmer how to brew" or pick up a copy of the book if you have not already. Its the best thing you can do to kill time while your beer is fermenting.

Welcome to the hobby, don't be a stranger on the site (its a great resource!) and of course rdwhahb :mug:

Welcome to HBT!

batch is not ruined.

did you do malt extract, boil 2-4 gallons and add water at the end? If so, you can simply add more water. Try and get the water at the same temperature as your fermentation before you dump it in.

Or let it be. If the fermentation goes as planned, it will be a higher abv beer.

google "John Palmer how to brew" or pick up a copy of the book if you have not already. Its the best thing you can do to kill time while your beer is fermenting.

Welcome to the hobby, don't be a stranger on the site (its a great resource!) and of course rdwhahb :mug:
X2

You can add water or leave it be, either way you will have beer. Just make sure the temp of the water you add is close to avoid shocking the yeasties.

How long has it been in the primary? If you have just started fermenting (1 or 2 days in), you could boil a gallon of water (to sterilize) then chill it to fermentation temp. Quickly open the lid and slowly pour in the water. Because the wort will be offgassing plenty of CO2 you shouldn't have to worry about oxygen getting in. If you are too far into fermentation, just ride it out. You might try tasting it when you go to rack to secondary and see if it is going to be too heavy. I don't know what would happen if you added water during racking to secondary. I can't imagine it would do too much damage. Just make sure if you make any adjustments you are very careful to sanitize well. Good luck!

+1 if you just made it, top it up with boiled water. If it's been a few days, ride it out and you'll have a smaller amount of stronger beer and a good learning experience.

Doing nothing would be fine. It'll still make drinkable beer. You might even like it more than if you did it right!

How long has it been in the primary? If you have just started fermenting (1 or 2 days in), you could boil a gallon of water (to sterilize) then chill it to fermentation temp. Quickly open the lid and slowly pour in the water. Because the wort will be offgassing plenty of CO2 you shouldn't have to worry about oxygen getting in. If you are too far into fermentation, just ride it out. You might try tasting it when you go to rack to secondary and see if it is going to be too heavy. I don't know what would happen if you added water during racking to secondary. I can't imagine it would do too much damage. Just make sure if you make any adjustments you are very careful to sanitize well. Good luck!

Great point another good thing about preboiling that water is that much of the o2 will leave the water

Thanks so much for the info! Well it has started fermenting and i think i am going to ride this one out. Maybe hope for that smaller amount of stronger beer comment!! But i am already excited to start up a second batch- definitely a learning experience! Thanks again for the advice it is nice to know i have somewhere to go to ask questions.

Back