Square coolers for MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Is there any issue with using a square cooler for a MLT as opposed to the rectangular ones? I was thinking of something like this Igloo because it would also work as a swamp cooler for fermentation. I assume that 60qt is plenty for typical 5g batches. I would add a mash boil screen at the bottom and hope to do batch sparging.

I use the same one, but the 50qt version. I think it works exceptionally well. +1 if you can use it for another use. I think it might be perfect for 5/10g batches. Once you do a 10g batch, you'll realize its such a better payoff. In my 50qt, I'm realizing that if I am going to do 10g high gravity beers, I might have to do a thicker than normal mash.

I have a similar cooler and used it as a swamp cooler for my previous two batches. Just converted it to a MLT this weekend and did my first AG. Worked perfectly.

There is a DIY thread in the Equipment board on converting one of these. I think the thread title mentioned either "Ice Cube" or "IceCube." Good luck!

EDIT: Here is the thread.

I just got one of these and am going to use it on my first AG batch this weekend. Seems like it will be a good MLT.

I also use the 50qt icecube, I filled the lid with great stuff, I lose 1 degree at most in 1 hour, 1.5 degrees in a 90 minute mash. 10 gal batches get pretty tight volumewise, but for 5 gal batches I love it, and 19 dollar price at target makes it very appealing!

its called "great stuff" its an expanding foam in a can, I covered the lid with masking tape then drilled several holes around the lid from the top, then shot the foam into the holes, it expands and fills the lid, the excess oozes out of the holes and onto the tape, when dry I razor bladed off the excess from the holes and removed the tape, came out clean, with no mess on the lid just the foam flush with the lid.

I also recently bought two of the 50 quart Igloo cubes at Target for $19 each. One is my new HLT and one is my new MT. Hand assembled bulkhead fittings and copper manifold. I was really happy with their inaugural brew session last month. 5 gallon batch of Imperial IPA came out fantastic. As others reported, I only lost about 1 degree in an hour. I'll post some pictures once I get past the forum posting threshold.

Good info everyone. I guess I was wondering if the shape was a drawback since seems like not many people use it. I also was curious if it being too large was an issue (sounds like it's not).

How hard is it to remove the valve or put back the stock valve? If I'm going to get a dual use of the cooler, I'd need to remove the mashing parts to let it be a swamp cooler. I assume that if I did this often the seal would eventually get looser. Or do you remove those valve parts each time for cleaning?

I've been using the 50qt cooler with no wheels for a long time now for 5 and 10 gallon batches,and I find it works great. I fly sparge so have filled it to the top a couple times, 32lb at a 0.75 qt/lb ratio was the max I could get in there and still get a good eff out of my system. I found it vary easy to put weld-less bulk heads on to it.

One good thing is that a 12x12 perforated SS sheet form Online metals fits nicely in the bottom for a $20 false bottom

I'm now in the process of converting a 70qt cool max with wheels. I'm a little concerned with the amount of dead space the wheels will impart, so I went for the 70qt over the 60qt.

Cool...I looked at those too, but ended up building a copper manifold. Do you have a picture? Interested to see how you raised it up and the connection to the valve... Thanks!

I have not built the SS false bottom yet, I'm currently using a copper manifold. But I bought the 12X12 piece and it fits in the 50qt well. I was going to build a second 50qt mash tun with it but decided to get the 70qt where I will use the SS sheet as a false bottom.

I have one in my keggle that works okay, to filter my hot break. and for that I used DIY dip tube an 8' 3/8 soft copper length bent 90º with two 3/8X1/2MPT adapters on each end, and have a 1/2 hole cut into the center of the perforated sheet where one end of the dip tube goes through, and the other attaches to the weld less fitting through the keg. I plan on doing a similar set up with the 70qt.

I get the 70qt on the 12th, and will post some pictures of the build.

Weirdboy: I made a SS braid for mine.

Braid works fine for batch sparging. but if you want to fly sparge a false bottom is much better.

Back