Beer Yeast Nutrient in Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC16

Reaction score
I am using Champagne yeast in my cider and can I add beer nutrient to it or should I get wine nutrient?

They are the same thing unless somebody is trying to market a "different" product.

Energizer & Yeast Nutrients;
4846.jpg

I'd recommend using either of them for cider so you don't stress the yeast.

Don't use too much though, it will leave an ammonia taste behind. Follow the instructions on the package or bottle.

Brain Fart!!! - Are you talking about servomyces or the wyeast brand??

image_2981.jpg
image_2253.jpg

I also have old mr. beer cider yeast, should I boil that in water and add it?

Amazingly, the Mr Beer cider yeast works pretty good on its own.

I never boil the nutrients or energizer.

If you have MRB Cider yeast pitch that by itself. The end result will be a bit sweeter than the champagne yeast. You can always add the nutrients if you want though. No boil, just add as instructed on the wyeast package.

If you go with the Champagne pitch it with the wyeast nutrients.

Out of curiosity how high in ABV are you targeting?

6.5% I added the champagne yeast yesterday, no added sugar just a gravity of 1.050. I am planning on adding a gallon of sweet cider after and force carbing with my tap a draft system

In that case, don't mess with the nutrients unless you see the fermentation stall.

If it does stall, add it carefully, once you add it will take off like you added an alka-seltzer tablet to the fermentor. It will bubble like crazy. I did this with 2" of space from the top of the carboy and I was lucky it didn't roll out over the sides. It was brimming with cider. I recall I also tipped the carboy slightly since a good bit stuck to the inside of neck of the carboy.

I am using a bucket so I am not worried about it foaming over

Back