Going all grain help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going AG and want to do it really simple, I live in an apartment and drive about 30 minutes to my parents house to brew (and give beer to my dad). In the spirit of keeping it really simple I was just going to do a two cooler system. Just needed an experienced answer as to will these work for HLT and MLT.

Walmart.com: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler: Camping

The price seems right as you can get alot more for your money with the rectangles.

1. Do you guys think these will hold heat efficiently.
2. And also will they be big enough to do 10 gallon batches.

Thanks for the help.

Truthfully, not shure what you are asking, perhaps an all grain system to upgrade from a partial or extract system the cheapest way? List what you use currently and we can go from there.

From what I've heard, those coolers work great. I do all grain with only 1 - 10 gallon round cooler. I'm a fan of manifolds, but you'll get all sorts of opinions on that (false bottoms vs. manifolds vs. braids).

I brew with my brother in an apartment. He's on the ground floor, so brewing and washing things off on his deck isn't a big deal. I'm curious how you manage the fermentation process with remote brewing. Do you brew at your parents and ferment at home, or do you just drive back and forth all the time, or do your parent's help? I'm brewing a saison next and it requires upping the temperature 2 degrees per day from 68 to 80. That would be impossible remotely unless your parents help.

I use the 36-qt Xtreme cooler for 5 gal AG mash and it holds the temperature very well. During the 60 minute mash it only looses about one degree of heat.

Make sure to use a longer bulkhead if you're planning on converting it to a ball valve spigout. The insulation layer of Xtreme cooler wall is thicker than the typical coolers.

I brew at my parents house on the weekends and then drive my fermenter to my apartment. I can brew at my apartment, its just a huge pain with really long wait times on the boil. Right now I have a pretty basic extract setup, but I am going to be upgrading to a 15 gallon kettle with thermometer and ball valve. I just wanted to know if this cooler would work for a gravity fed system where I could do my mashing and sparging in it and then drain into the kettle for the boil.

Those coolers are a little large for 5 gallon batches I would think. They would be better suited to 10 gallon brews. The 10 gallon round coolers might be better for fly sparging so there is some additional grain depth which is desired when fly sparging.

If you want to keep it really simple consider batch sparging. A single 52-54 quart cooler should handle the grain bill for 10 gallon batches.

Just for comparison, I was able to do 1.060 OG ten gallon batches in a 48qt cooler. 70qt is a little big for 5 gallons but they do handle high gravity ten gallon batches.

If you batch sparge, you don't really need a insulated HLT. You can just collect wort in buckets while you use your kettle for an HLT.

+1 on BobbyM recomedation. Since we have no idea as of yet on your current equiptment, I recomend the 7 gallon Rubbermaid round cooler. It will serve you well and for 30 $ on amazon with a ss false bottom from MoreBeer 35 $ you will happy ever after. The 7 gallon is a happy medium for 5-10 gallon batches with minimal head space on mash for high efficiancy, (I get 78%-82% ).

Hope this helps on what you are considering.

Cheers

Back