India Brown Ale recipe formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamminjoenapo

Reaction score
Well a few months ago I made Midwest's India Brown ale kit and really liked it. Fast forward to now and I've decided to finally make my first recipe with this in mind. So far this is what I have decided on, but I am still open on the hops. I have 4 oz of the following, warrior (13.7 AAU), chinook (11.8 AAU), amarillo (10.3 AAU), nugget (13.3 AAU), and cascade (5.5 AAU) and 8 oz of columbus (13.3 AAU). I don't have any experience except with columbus, cascade and amarillo (guess that's what happens when you order ingredients after drinking :tank: ).

So far this is what I'm thinking of doing.

Batch size:
5 gal

Fermentables/specialty grains:

7 lbs pilsen light DME
1 lb light brown sugar
8 oz Crystal 60L
4 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Roasted Barley

Hops:
60 min - 1/2 oz warrior
60 min - 1/2 oz columbus
35 min - 1/2 oz columbus
10 min - 1 oz Cascade
1 min - 1 oz Cascade
7 day dry hop - 1 oz Warrior

Yeast:
US-05 ferment at 68 degrees for 2 weeks, rack to secondary (maybe I don't know yet) on dry hops for 1 week.

The calculators are showing
OG 1.076
FG 1.017
SRM 17 deg
IBU 64
ABV 7.9%

Any suggestions for when I brew this tomorrow? I have a couple other random specialty grains and other random stuff around the house so I'm up for anything.

I haven't used warrior hops for anything besides bittering, but I haven't heard much praise for them in the flavor/aroma department on here

replace the dry hop warriors with cascade, or even columbus, those are much better aroma hops than warrior. amarillo is a great flavor/aroma hop too and i really like the way amarillo plays off darker malts.

I haven't used warrior hops for anything besides bittering, but I haven't heard much praise for them in the flavor/aroma department on here

replace the dry hop warriors with cascade, or even columbus, those are much better aroma hops than warrior. amarillo is a great flavor/aroma hop too and i really like the way amarillo plays off darker malts.

Ok I might just replace the bittering hops at 60 and 35 minutes with warrior and then dry hop with cascade or maybe replace all warrior with columbus. Any opinions on which would turn out better. I wanted to use the amarillo, but I have an amarillo pale ale that I've made a few times that I want to mess around with and it will use up atleast 3 of the 4 ounces of the hops.

it really depends what ya want. columbus are pungent, resinous citrus/pine-like aroma, cascade are a bit more subdued, still citrusy, fruity, maybe a bit floral aroma. for a darker beer, columbus or a combo of cascade & columbus might be nice. i'd still say amarillo would be my favorite of your choices for a darker beer with lots of late hop character.

Back