blow off tube diameter needed quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I am brewing a belgian strong and it looks like i might need a blow off tube I know i have seen the on here but im not having any luck finding it.

What is the diameter needed for the blow off tube to fit over the stem in a 3 piece airlock.

Thanks in advance for saving my living room.

might want to move that to the bathtub for a few minutes until its figured out, alternatively, you could sacrifice a small chunk of one of your racking canes and use a normal tube. Cut 2" off the cane, stick it in the stopper for the 3 piece airlock, and then run that elsewhere.

I'm currently blowing off right now with a standard diameter tube. it works.

might want to move that to the bathtub for a few minutes until its figured out, alternatively, you could sacrifice a small chunk of one of your racking canes and use a normal tube. Cut 2" off the cane, stick it in the stopper for the 3 piece airlock, and then run that elsewhere.

I'm currently blowing off right now with a standard diameter tube. it works.

7/16 tube............

Also I know your supposed to vent into either vodka or starsan but would jim beam work?

I got a bottle noone drinks its 40% so i think it should be ok whats does the community say?

Thanks to the quick responses I am glad to inform you that a crisis in the living room has been averted. About 2 hours after completing the blow off setup I checked the carboy to see the following.

10e1wnt.jpg

Also I know your supposed to vent into either vodka or starsan but would jim beam work?

I got a bottle noone drinks its 40% so i think it should be ok whats does the community say?

Don't waste the Beam!!! I'm begging you!

Sanitizer water works just fine. Actually, I'm pretty sure plain water works too, but I always add sanitizer to the water. Vodka is used so that if it gets sucked back into the fermentor, it doesn't really matter much. I've never had the water get sucked back in, so I don't worry about it, but water sanitized with starsan wouldn't matter either.

Jim Beam works for me every time. Usually in Coke. Oh, you meant.....

Jimmy in coke??? now i have to say thats a bit of a cop out... but i like mine stright, and in tall shot glasses... all in a line... all mine... but most people say when i drink hard liquor, im obviosuly just trying to get blasted and thats not the point

cheers

I just jam 1/4" inch tubing in a drilled stopper. I dont use three piece air locks anymore, so i don't know the diameter....

I used my racking tube on my current batch, hooked up like you show it... then it got blocked and blew off. Luckily, I have my vessel sitting in an unused shower. But I'm gonna get a fat piece to stick in the carboy opening w/out the bung and airlock.

Back