sanitizing your CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to build a CFC much like Bobby-M's and I am going to build it directly into my system. I am wondering what you all do to clean and sanitize your CFC before you use it?
Cheers
JJ

I used a compression fitting to attach it to my kettle's valve. I just pump Starsan through it before I hook it up.

I used a compression fitting to attach it to my kettle's valve. I just pump Starsan through it before I hook it up.

I clean after use by rinsing, soaking in oxiclean solution, and then rinsing again.
I sanitize by using it to transfer iodophor from a bottling bucket to the primary.

-a.

Bobby_M said:
I pump boiling wort through it (coolant off) and back into the kettle for the last 5 minutes of the boil.
I think this is the most viable option. But arn't you worried about hot side arreation?
JJ

No pumps here, so I just drain some starsan from my bucket-o-sanitizer through the CFC into my carboy. That way I sanitize the CFC, then give my carboy a few shakes, and it's done too. Starsan back in bucket with hydro/thief, oxygen setup, and airlock/blowoff.

After every use i run hot oxiclean through it and let it sit with a single hose attached to both in and out ends of the CFC. This ensures constant contact.

Rinse for a min or so with warm water.

Run star-san in it and with single hose attach to both ends for a few min. then drain as well as possible.

Then i wrap the two ends with plastic wrap and rubberbands to ensure it has been cleaned and sanitized so i dont have to worry about it before each brew.

Reverend JC said:
After every use i run hot oxiclean through it and let it sit with a single hose attached to both in and out ends of the CFC. This ensures constant contact.

Rinse for a min or so with warm water.

Run star-san in it and with single hose attach to both ends for a few min. then drain as well as possible.

Then i wrap the two ends with plastic wrap and rubberbands to ensure it has been cleaned and sanitized so i dont have to worry about it before each brew.
Ya I run oxyclean through the entire system after each brewday but I was just thinking about just before your wort transfer but I guess if you sanitized and sealed it up good you would be ok like you said I also like Bobby-M's way but in my system I run everything to a grant so I would be concerned about hot side arreation where I dont think bobby runs to a grant (or do you bobby?)Hmmmm the options
JJ

Latest posts

Back