adding a sight glass / tube to a boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry just being cheeky. I have done a dozen of these. My biggest suggestion would be to use cutting oil and a good step-bit.

Through aluminum? I wouldn't invest more than $5 bucks on the cheapest step bit out there.

Sure. I prefer to use good tools and I use them on more things than just constructing brewing equipment. I have had plenty of cheap harbor freight step bits make it through 2 holes and turn into junk. My last nice bit did 9 holes in stainless then 3 in aluminum. Not saying anyone has to do anything, just describing what I do.

I would second the "not worrying too much about the bit" thing. I used a cordless drill that constantly died, the cheapest step bit I could find and zero cutting oil and had no problems drilling several kegs.

Add to this the fact that I'm a moron and spent about 10 minutes drilling through one keggle with the drill running in reverse. Yes, in reverse. :drunk: It still managed to cut through a keggle.

If you spend more on a quality step bit and use oil, the bit will last you longer but my experience says that you can still get through a whole set of keggles with something in the $10 range.

I would recommend buying quality when drilling through stainless steel. It's a completely different animal than aluminum. You can drill through aluminum with a dull spoon.

I'll post some pics once I get it done. I am going to order the sight tube this weekend. Then again there is always the option of buying a Blichmann :)

Back