Question to those using camlock fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberg33k

Reaction score
This might seem a bit stupid or nit picky, but I'm wondering how people are orienting their camlock fittings. Do you put the female end on your pot/pump and the male ends on your hosing or are you putting the male ends on your pot/pump and putting the female ends on the hosing?

I would think it makes more sense to put the female end on the pot/pump and have the male ends on the hoses, which would mimic the precedent set by electrical standards (plugs are male and receptacles are female). Maybe there's a reason this would be a bad idea? Maybe I'm just overthinking it and it makes no difference :D ?

Male on vessels, female on hoses. Hoses get banged around a lot and I'd rather beat up the outside of a female fitting than the contact points of a male fitting. Also, it's easier to pull the cams away from the vessel than towards.

ditto. I've never seen a successful setup with male hoses and female on the pots. I thought about it when first getting started as it can be cheaper* but thinking through the actions and reading here i switched my opinion. Hoses really take a beating and the female fitting is protected. You really don't want dings on the fitting contacts.

*if you have less hoses than needed connections. Not recommended but you can do it if you move hoses around during brew day.

Agree with the other responses. It would be very difficult to attach a hose with a male fitting. Plus, the female could be pretty warm and that would add an extra level of difficulty.

+1 to all the other responses, for the same reason.
I also put a street elbow on the backs of the female ends as well. It gives me something to grab onto when I'm connecting or disconnecting them. Another idea taken from Bobby_M!

Well, I never would have though that hoses took such a beating, so I'm glad I asked. I also have thought of using street elbows a la Bobby_M, but more for the way it helps the hose hang with a lesser chance of kinking. I guess the handle bit is a bonus.

Back