2nd runnings beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
This coming weekend a buddy and me wil be brewing side by side brews. He is brewing more or less a belgian strong and i'm doing an imperial porter. Both should weigh in somewhere close to 1.10. Both beers will be 3 gal batches. Our plan is to no sparge our beers and collect first runnings for our individual boils, then combine the 2nd runnings from each and put together to make a belgian/frankenbrew/porter of sorts. Almost partigyle just with two sets of 2nd runnings, so i assume our gravity should be up there. Any clue how big this 2nd beer is going to be?

I guess he meant they will just use first runnings with no sparge for their individual beers and then batch sparge once and use that to make the frankenbeer. That's how I understood it. I have no clue what the OG will be. I only take gravity readings after I boil, so I'm not much help on this topic. I just wanted to say I like the idea and it's very clever. Good thinking! I might steal that idea from you and do that in the near future!

What mike said. Sorry very confusing explanation. Guess we'll wing it. I'll report back after the weekend.

Back