home distilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlewin

Reaction score
anybody know of any good places to discuss it online....not with the intention of actually doing any of course

From all accounts, it's the best site out there for what you want to do. Yes, we're joking around, but we're not laughing at you, that really is the best answer!

oh ok... i don't mind being the butt of a newbie joke from time to time if i deserve it. i just didn't get it.

i had looked at the site quickly but also had a few thousand other search engine results to pour through. so before I wasted my time weeding out the bad ones i figured I'd just see if any one else hear had any interest in brewing the stronger stuff.

Yooper Chick said:
No, you're not! It's because the first two answers were exactly the same, not because of your question.

And both posted at the same time...

But that would be a pretty funny joke to play on n00bies... if we can get enough peoples to do it is a short period of time...

so...any of you who obviously are familiar with the site....do you take the time to distill your own. Is it at all cost effective, worth the trouble etc. I'm an irish whiskey drinker...which I obviously can't make at home...being in the USA...but I could settle for an irish STYLE whiskey if I could pull one off. Maybe a little flavored vodka for the wife.

jlewin said:
so...any of you who obviously are familiar with the site....do you take the time to distill your own. Is it at all cost effective, worth the trouble etc. I'm an irish whiskey drinker...which I obviously can't make at home...being in the USA...but I could settle for an irish STYLE whiskey if I could pull one off. Maybe a little flavored vodka for the wife.

distilling is illegal in the US and most other countries. If anyone was doing it in their home, they should be smart enough to not discuss it in a public forum.

rdwj said:
distilling is illegal in the US and most other countries. If anyone was doing it in their home, they should be smart enough to not discuss it in a public forum.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

rdwj said:
Or the internet police might inform the ATF!

As long as it's not like some guy distilling 300 gallons a month in his backyard/local mountains I doubt they would care. After all there are only 2 legitimate reasons I can think of it being illegal, 1 being they can't tax it and 2 is the safety issue, got to protect the public from themselves! Oh and the good old alcohol is the devil might work to.

Speaking of AFT who the **** put firearms with alcohol and tobacco? Substances vs gun, wtf is that?

jlewin said:
Maybe a little flavored vodka for the wife.
The flavors in flavored vodka are added after distillation. You can make a great flavored vodka by throwing a few vanilla beans, some peppercorns, some fruit, etc, into a bottle of decent vodka and letting it age for a few weeks. A few ounces of simple syrup will sweeten it up if you're looking for a smoother flavor.

in the us you can get a permit to distill fuel alcohol. i believe home distillation is legal in australia. if you don't want to discuss it that is fine but I can't imagine their is a high risk of repercussion in discussing it here. But if no one wants to i understand. just curious to see what those who have gone before me have thought and experienced. i try to do anything at all possible diy when it can be, especially when it comes to eating and drinking.

There's an hour long episode of modern marvels on distilling. It's usually on right after or before the one on brewing, watch it sometime :)

I'm curious about doing it for fuel. It seems so extremely expensive how could it ever be worth doing. I mean if I get this right, 5G of 10% would yeild half a gallon of fuel. That is like $30/gallon.

Todd said:
I'm curious about doing it for fuel. It seems so extremely expensive how could it ever be worth doing. I mean if I get this right, 5G of 10% would yeild half a gallon of fuel. That is like $30/gallon.
maybe if your grain-corn was free?

i imagine that right now people are less likely to do it to save money and more likely to do it to make a point/pressure manufacturers and government to get more serious about fuel alternatives

jlewin said:
i imagine that right now people are less likely to do it to save money and more likely to do it to make a point/pressure manufacturers and government to get more serious about fuel alternatives

I hate to get this off topic so www.homedistiller.org

Anyway are there certain crops with more sugar? What I mean is, I saw a show the other day. It said sugar cane has something like 8 times the yeild of corn. I'm not sure if that is in total? I assume they can use the entire plant vs just the ears of corn.

I don't know too much about irish whiskey, but I recently researched how to make bourbon at home. I won't go into how you got the alcohol, in this case I was going to use 100 proof Stolichnaya.

What gives the bourbon flavor is charred virgin white oak. Virgin, i.e. the oak has never been used for anything else (port, sherry, etc.). You can use a cask, but I will use oak cubes. Use american white oak or spanish white oak, nothing else.

You can char the cubes by any method. But most people have a grill and that tends to be easiest way. You are looking for a brown/almost black charring, if it starts blacken to the point of burning, just scrape the worst of the black char afterwords. The entire point of charring is to carmelize the sugars present in the oak.

Fill a container with the now charred cubes and pour your alcohol of choice into the container. Seal and forget about it for 9+ months. It is supposedly going to come out very flavored even after 6 months, the theory is that there is more surface area with cubes than a cask. I haven't tried this yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

Stolichnaya is a vodka produced from wheat grains, bourbon is made from at least some % corn, and I think it's high, like 70+. Might a better option be to dilute some grain alcohol and age that in the oak?

I chose stoli because it's flavor is the most neutral of all the spirits I have tried. Hypothetically, if I were to use a still I would prefer a 50/50 corn and grains mix. Most of the distillers I have spoken with do not bother. All corn sugar and flavor to taste, no matter if you are trying to make rum/whiskey/grappa/etc.

Back