Christmas in Belgium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd lose the Munich, aromatic, and caravienne, and cut the hops down to one varietal at 90min for ~20IBUs.

You want to showcase the spices, right? That other stuff will get in the way. I'd also shoot for a lower FG than that.

The thing about Belgian ales, is that their grain bill is usually simple, but the flavor comes from gentle infusion of spice - however - you really want to get fruity, spicy character out of the yeast you choose.

You could do something really nice with a simpler grain bill - the 2 row and munich malt, and then something like Special B OR Aromatic, and then dark candi syrup (or if you don't have the time or patience to make your own candi syrup, the dark candi rocks work just fine)

Shoot for lower IBUs, I agree with Nateo that you really only need 1 maybe 2 varieties

Ginger root and sweet orange peel would be nice additions, but coriander might not work with a maltier grain bill (coriander is good in a saisson, blond ale, and wheat beer - not sure if would work - or merely compete - in a dubbel)

Can you actually GET 3864 this time of year? It's seasonal as far as I know - I've got some in the fridge that I washed from a blond ale I brewed in the Spring.

WLP500 would be good, as is the Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast 3522 - which is the Chouffe strain)

Happy brewing! :)

The thing about Belgian ales, is that their grain bill is usually simple, but the flavor comes from gentle infusion of spice - however - you really want to get fruity, spicy character out of the yeast you choose.

I totally agree. The best Belgians I've made have been base malt with a touch of special B, some dark syrup, and turbinado.

Interesting. I started out with a Strong Dark Ale that's why the OG is a little high. Forgot to cut back when I realized I wanted more of a Dubbel.
1. I can see cutting back the Munich and Aromatic, but why cut back the Caravienne?
2. Yes, I do have some 3864 that I bought in the spring.
3. I have used a little coriander in a Tripel. Thought it might go well with the orange peel in a Dubbel.
4. I will cut back the hops to bring out the spices a little more.

With your updated OG and FG numbers, you're shooting for an attenuation of ~79%. That's not bad, but I would ditch the caravienne to get closer to 83-86% attenuation.

I think you're on the right path, and trust me I'm just a little upstart with a few recipes under her belt (you can take my suggestions with a big tablespoon of bacon salt) ;)

I absorbed "Brew Like a Monk" and what stood out in my mind most was the simplicity of the grain bill - I really think that Belgian dubbels and tripels are all about the yeast..

but then you have Unibroue ... :ban:

I am actually brewing today with some washed 3864 from a blond I brewed in the spring. That yeast is a monster - and a pretty cool one as well (the starter is rockin like Dokken).

Anyway, as I understand it, Belgian Caravienne is a caramel malt like Vienna malt - lighter in color than Munich malt. I brewed a partial mash dubbel back in August where I used Carabelg (Caravienne) and a tiny amount of Aromatic and Caramel Pils (because I think I read somewhere that Caramel Pils added to the mouthfeel of the finished product). I'm still not sure it's going to make any difference (the beer is still too green to realy tell)

I was thinking you were looking for malty sweetness from the Munich malt, and thinking that the Caravienne wasn't going to add much new conversation to the party. Since the 3864 doesn't thwack you upside the head with plum/raisin/dark fruit - it's up to you. The yeast gives me an apple/lemon/floral profile.

As far as the Coriander goes, it throws lemon, and can overpower really quickly if you use too much. (i made that mistake). I think it works better in a pale /blond/wheat ale because the flavors seem brighter and less earthy/warming. What about cinnamon, peppercorns, or a miniscule amount of star anise (licorice). Warming spice.

Oh yeah... it was really easy for me to overshoot my OG .. and although it finished at 1.01 it was one potent beast when I put it in the bottles. I don't think I'll be cracking another bottle until after Thanksgiving.

I read the Dubbel section of BLAM and those recipes are quite complex...
Picked up some cardamom today. Anyone ever use it? Also got some candied ginger. Any thoughts on that?

What a freaking day. Must have been out too late last night. Made 10 gallons of this stuff. The sparge water heater crapped out. Had to use the boil kettle and sparge into buckets. Then we let 2 gallons boil out of the kettle! DOH!!! Had to make up 1.5 gallons of DME wort and thew it back in. Too busy enjoying homebrew, pickled kielbasa, eggs and peppers! We finished at 1.080 so all is not lost. Lesson learned: Remove head from everyone's ass before attempting this beer.....

What a freaking day. Must have been out too late last night. Made 10 gallons of this stuff. The sparge water heater crapped out. Had to use the boil kettle and sparge into buckets. Then we let 2 gallons boil out of the kettle! DOH!!! Had to make up 1.5 gallons of DME wort and thew it back in. Too busy enjoying homebrew, pickled kielbasa, eggs and peppers! We finished at 1.080 so all is not lost. Lesson learned: Remove head from everyone's ass before attempting this beer.....

Oktoberfest RAH!!:mug:

I'm sure it will be fantastic when it's finished (and cardamom would have been a good choice, it's a floraly/sweet spice used in Indian cooking)

Racked this on 11/7 and OG was 1.025! Not happy. Added a vial of WLP500 to try and dry it out some more. Added currants and 5 oz of candied ginger. Did not get too much spice.

Racked this again today. OG is now 1.015. :ban: That's 8.5% ABV. The extra yeast and daily rousing did the trick. The ginger is really coming thru. Almost too much but it tastes great! Should mellow to perfection with a little time. I added 1 tsp whole coriander and 1/2 tsp whole cardamom to balance the ginger a bit. I think this is gonna be a good one. I will rack to keg next weekend and start to carbonate for bottling.

Back