Question on lager pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sreidy12

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question for ya
I brewed a czech pilsner yesterday and it has been in my fridge chilling to about 48 degrees before I pitch my yeast. I made a 3 liter starter with a vial of White Labs Bohemian Pilsner that expired mid-December of 09 about 5 days ago to ensure I would have a decent population of yeast to pitch. My question is this: should I decant the wort and pitch the slurry or pitch the slurry and also add a packet of saflager w-34 70 that I have a spare of. Thanks for the advice!

I would probably decant the used starter off the yeast and then build another 3 liter starter and pitch on the old Bohemian yeast just to build up the cell count even more. After the 2nd starter is decanted, then use that yeast slurry for pitching. This could take up to 3 or 4 more days though. If you are confident about your sanitation, I would personally do it just because not many bugs will grow very quickly at 48F.

Back