whirlpooling with CFC and DMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddknight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to really learn a little bit more about the process or necessity of whirlpooling after the boil to reduce the amt of hop leftovers going into the fermenter and still trying to avoid DMS formation.

My question seems to be is there a good method of whirlpooling when using a CFC? I used to use an immersion chiller which made it easy. I worry now about letting the wort sit for 15-30 minutes post boil while I try to whirlpool b/c of possible DMS formation. Should I chill the wort first and recirc back into boil kettle then stir to whirlpool and then drain to fermenter? Or would it be worthwhile to make a copper tube like in the IC that Jamil made and just try to whirlpool directly upon return from the CFC that I'm using? Not sure if that would even work. Any input is appreciated.

We use our sanitized bottling bucket for whirlpooling after the wort comes out of our CFC. Just give it a good stir and cover it with a sanitized lid for a bit. Simple and works for us. Your plan to recirculate it back to the kettle sounds alright to me. Don't see why not.

I don't think you want to whirlpool after its cooled, especially if you've ran it through a chiller. It won't have that high heat that aids in keeping things sanitary. I do a 90 minute boil on my beers, stir for whirlpool then drop my IC in. I've never had an issue with DMS, but then again I also don't whirlpool very long. I don't really care if I transfer some hop matter to the fermenter, its already given its all and isn't going to be in there for very long before it settles out. Dry hops are another matter.

After the boil, I pump the wort through the chiller and back into the Boil Kettle which has a 90 degree "return" inside. So basically, I chill and whirlpool at the same time, which I think is what you are describing.

You want to make sure there is some separation between your siphon tube and the return, or you will just be circulating the same wort and it will not be as efficient cooling the entire batch. My "return" is adjustable, so I set it just below the surface.

Thanks for the info guys. Ohio-Ed, I think I'm looking to do what you have described on your system. Any picks to show how you've installed it? Especially the adjustable return tube. Hopefully I'll get to try it out tomorrow!

Thanks for the info guys. Ohio-Ed, I think I'm looking to do what you have described on your system. Any picks to show how you've installed it? Especially the adjustable return tube. Hopefully I'll get to try it out tomorrow!

I don't have a picture, but it is really pretty simple.
I have a 90 degree swagloc compression fitting with a piece of 1/2" stainless tubing about 5" long threaded into a coupling inside of the keg.

The coupling is installed at about the 7 gallon mark in the keg.

The tubing is arched from the coil it was part of so it kinda hugs the keg wall.

The adjustable part is that the swagloc is just hand tight, so I can rotate it down slightly to work with 5 gallon batches.

Ed

Back