HELP cleaning a carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I usually have no problem getting my carboys clean by using Oxyclean, but I have one that I can not get some sediment unstuck from the inside top of the carboy, just below the neck. I have tried soaking it in hot water and oxyclean and it wont come off. Im sure a carboy brush would loosen it and help it come off but it is in area that cannot be reached by a brush.
Does anyone have any ideas?

i found that by not immersing the entire brush, you can get to that part of the shoulder

I have a carboy brush that has a bend in the brush around halfway down so the bristly part forms an "L" It works great for scrubbing the carboy where you can't get to it. Fairly cheap too.

I am confused by where you say the carboy brush cannot reach. I am able to scrub every inch of my carboys with my brush and a little determination.

I think he means that the brush that comes with the kits (at least came with mine) doesn't have a bend in the bristle part, so it is impossible to reach the portion right before the neck with it. That "L" brush is the cat's ass and it works great on our 13 gal demijohn too! Nice LONG handle!

I bent a "U" shape in my straight bristle brush. I can snake it into the top of the carboy and reach every inside surface with no problem.

I agree but it is an interesting gadget. Not high on the list for me but still kinda cool

Yes, it's "cool", but I see no need for it. I do 80% of my fermenting in glass and have never even used a brush. Oxyclean works every time.:mug:

Back