First time kegging tonight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefranciotti

Reaction score
My cousin had a kegerator from college and had no use for it when he got home so he gave it to me along with a co2 tank.

I'm ready to keg & force carb one of my batches tonight and am not sure how to read the regulator. There is co2 in there I'm just not sure if there's enough.

regulator.jpg

Looks good to me, I think you're all set. Now what I'm trying to figure out looking at that pic is if that is a primary or secondary regulator (first one tells you pressure of the tank, the second would be telling your output pressure.) Either way you have CO2.

Note: The pressure in the tank rarely drops until right before it runs out, so I wouldnt bother checking it obsessively... I have an empty 5# tank and one with a little gas in it, and the both feel about the same in my hands (same type of tank) so one is about to run out, but still reads as having pressure.

That is a single gauge regulator, how do you figure out on one of those how to set the pressure for your beer? Ive never seen that type before. You have plenty of gas in there but if you put it in the fridge the gauge is going to look much lower so youll have to watch it carefully to make sure it doesnt keep going down from a gas leak.

I'm brand new to kegging and all the equipment was from my cousin. It used to be setup for commercial kegs. I bought new fittings but figured I was set with the regulator he gave me.

here's a full pic of the regulator.

IMG_7414.jpg

I'm brand new to kegging and all the equipment was from my cousin. It used to be setup for commercial kegs. I bought new fittings but figured I was set with the regulator he gave me.

here's a full pic of the regulator.

In that case you're all set. You have gas, and you're going to want to set the top gauge to about 40 PSI and give the keg a few blasts of co2 to seat the lid then purge the oxygen. Its pretty self explanatory, that regulator is more than fine!

Thanks a ton for your help Baja.

My plan was to hit it with 30 and shake it a bit, leave it overnight at 30, then purge it, lower the pressure to 20 until Christmas Eve, then set it to 10 and hope to serve on Christmas. Is this too far fetched?

Back