Burnt Caramel Taste in Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erock2112

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed an oatmeal stout from a kit from Midwest. I'm tasting it after a few days in the keg, and I'm getting a sort of burnt caramel taste and can't decide where it's coming from. To be clear, it's not an "off" flavor; I've tasted it in several commercial brews, namely Duck Rabbit's Milk Stout. I don't hate it, but it isn't my favorite taste, and would like to know the cause.

The recipe:
9 lb 2-row
8 oz rolled oats
12 oz chocolate malt
12 oz roasted barley

mash @ 152

1 oz Fuggles @ 60 min

Expected OG 1.047, actual 1.043

FG 1.016 <-- Originally used Munton's yeast (came in the box), slight krausen for about a day and promptly fell. Took gravity reading @ 3 days, 1.021. Gravity @ 7 days 1.021. Pitched rehydrated US-05 @ 8 days, swirled carboy. Gravity @ 21 days 1.016, racked to keg.

Since there's no crystal malt, I'm thinking the flavor is caused by a combination of the roasted barley and the relatively high residual sweetness (given the low OG) caused by low attenuation (about 61%). This makes sense to me, since Duck Rabbit's Milk Stout would have lactose causing sweetness, and the roasted barley might contribute the burnt flavor. Any ideas?

Maybe the burnt flavor is coming from the roasted barley? Especially if they may have given you black patent instead by accident?

I brewed the midwest oatmeal stout extract/steeping grain version and it has an odd flavor too. Kindof a strange carmelly flavor. Maybe thats just what this kit tastes like? I dunno just a thought

that flavor might just be from the brew being young. I don't even think about a stout until it is a least 2 months old. give it some time. sounds like you attenuation wasn't that good have you checked your thermometer to see if it is accurate? you also should be using two packs of dry yeast for a five gallon batch

Back