thick - thin mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
Second batch Ag going up this weekend.. First had 9 pound grain bill and this one will have 11 + . First went well although slightly off on OG/FG but wandering about the strike/mash water volume this time round. Using beer smith at 1.25 qt/pound and the roughly 3.5 mash / remaining 3.5 gallon sparge volume seem small for the extra 2 pound grain.. Seems like this will give me a thick mash and very small volume to split for batch sparge?? alittle confused. doc

Well, sticking with a fixed mash ratio means that its thickness/thinness doesn't change either.

11lbs of grain x 1.25 = 13.75 quarts or about 3.5 gallons.

Grain absorption is about half a quart per pound so you'll lose about 5.5 quarts. When you drain your first runnings, you'll get about 2 gallons out.

If you want 6.25 gallons preboil, you'll need to sparge with about 4.25 gallons. Then again, you never mentioned what your batch size is, how big your kettle is, etc.

Bobby M,

I am glad you responded. Dont get the big head but every noobie has to have a homebrewing idol -- I have your web site as a favorite and have learned a ton from you already. I guess I didnt want to bring up the thick/thin issue up outright -- my first AG missed OG and although I know a milliion factors ( temps/milling/time) etc add into it I am intrigued by the concept of Large first run efficiency with small sparge volume top off being less per se. I can correct the other wrongs with my last but I dont want to be missing this issue if it will help. Excuse the confusion, thanks, doc

Back