What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologize if the sarcasm did not come through when I said DFH's Grateful Dead granola beer "should be interesting." I assure you, it was there.

BinghamtonEd said:
I apologize if the sarcasm did not come through when I said DFH's Grateful Dead granola beer "should be interesting." I assure you, it was there.

Those of us who have tried several of their beers got the sarcasm just fine ;)

Twisted Pine's Ghost Face Killah. Me and two buddies shared a bottle on a brew day a few months back and none of us even finished out little glass. I guess they accomplished their mission:

From the Twisted Pine's website:
GFK is brewed with 6 zany peppers. Anaheim, Fresno, Jalapeno, Serrano, Habanero and Bhut Jolokia – Otherwise known as the Ghost Pepper. 200 times the heat of jalapenos, Bhut Jolokia are the hottest peppers in the world, a pepper so hot it can be weaponized. So hot that our brewers had to wear masks and gloves to cut them up. Aroma of smoked chillis fills the nose on first whiff, but don’t let it linger to long. Immediately on first taste GFK has a nice golden wheat flavor, but this is only for a fleeting moment before the temperature rises. Just hold on, the warmth of this beer will set in for a long spicy burn. There is only one finish on this beer – HEAT!

Food Pairing: Ice-cream or milk, because that is all that is going to help you with this brew.

BinghamtonEd said:

When I see someone say a DFH beer "should be interesting" I assume they're being sarcastic or they don't have the ability to taste. ;)

I can understand you saying its not a great IPA, but the worst commercial beer you've had? That's hard to believe, but I guess it could be.

They served it on dirty lines. Not fair to judge the beer on that, but you're a brewery, come on?!

gometz said:
Just saw Goose Island at Kroger yesterday, but considering what everyone has been saying I think I might be careful.

Got some Alaskan Amber Ale though (supposedly Alt-style), not sure what to think of it. Very strong apple flavor, but in a clean way.

I've seen a lot of knocks on Goose Island IPA. It's milder than some others because it's an English IPA, but I thought it was great for what it was. The BJCP guidelines actually have the Goose Island IPA listed as a sample of the style. I like the Matilda too...it's usually well priced on tap.

Founder's Frangelico Mountain. Sickening sweet Hazelnut overkill. Like bad convenience-store "cappuccino".

mragin said:
I've seen a lot of knocks on Goose Island IPA. It's milder than some others because it's an English IPA, but I thought it was great for what it was. The BJCP guidelines actually have the Goose Island IPA listed as a sample of the style. I like the Matilda too...it's usually well priced on tap.

I like it as well. So many people now days are expecting a hop punch to the mouth with anything that's labeled an IPA. I enjoy those types of IPAs, but realize that if a brewery is going for an English IPA, it's not going to have that same character that an American IPA does. Taking the Goose Island IPA for what it is, they nail the style on the head. And it's a good beer. If someone doesn't like it, then they probably just don't like English IPAs.

bleme said:
I've only tried 60min. Since it came from World Market, I just assumed it was old and mis-handled.....
I think their 60/90 min. are by far their best offerings. I think I've had maybe one or two others that were Ok.
WesleyS said:
No, that's bottlebomber's mom. :p
I see how it is ;)

I like it as well. So many people now days are expecting a hop punch to the mouth with anything that's labeled an IPA. I enjoy those types of IPAs, but realize that if a brewery is going for an English IPA, it's not going to have that same character that an American IPA does. Taking the Goose Island IPA for what it is, they nail the style on the head. And it's a good beer. If someone doesn't like it, then they probably just don't like English IPAs.

Yeah I like the Goose Island IPA - tastes good as an English IPA. Completely different to the American IPAs I'm familiar with.

You guys should try and get hold of the Thornbridge Jaipur, it's a really special English IPA, IMHO. There must be someone importing it to the US.

gometz said:
Thought of another, which I bet I will get flack for:

Stone/Dogfish Head/Victory - Saison du Buff
None of those spices belong in a beer. I felt like I was drinking cold unfinished broth.

Saison du Buff was way to bland. Definitely lacking in esters and saison funk. Totally with you on this one.

m3n00b said:
Yeah. So gross! When I first got into brewing I drank like 20 for the bottles....never again.

At $1.99 a bottle, I drink it for the swing top. My LHBS sells empty swing tops for $2.00 ea. No pain, no gain.

When I see someone say a DFH beer "should be interesting" I assume they're being sarcastic or they don't have the ability to taste. ;)

I actually like the 60 and 90 minute IPA's, but other than that I have no had anything from DFH that I liked. Their 120 was terrible (and friggin expensive!), Midas Touch was just a waste of money, etc.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say the Flying Dog International Arms Race 0 IBU IPA.

It was an interesting idea, but ultimately not very pleasant. Aromas of toilet cleaner and toothpaste.

I actually like the 60 and 90 minute IPA's, but other than that I have no had anything from DFH that I liked. Their 120 was terrible (and friggin expensive!), Midas Touch was just a waste of money, etc.

I agree here. I also like the Palo Santo Marron. 90 minute is awesome. I had a tweason'ale yesterday and was very disappointed.

I agree here. I also like the Palo Santo Marron. 90 minute is awesome. I had a tweason'ale yesterday and was very disappointed.

I too am not impressed with dfh, but recently had their 75 minute IPA and it was GRRRRRREEAAT (said like Tony the Tiger). :)

I've had some bad luck with some of the Rogue ales. I bought a yellow snow IPA (one of my favorites) and it was sludgy and gross. Not sure if they bottle conditioned those bombers but the brew was awful for a $9 bottle.

I just tried new Belgium's imperial ipa and was very disappointed! !! The hops they used gave it a really trashy taste like decaying garbage. Don't get me wrong... I'm a huge hop head. But they just used the wrong hop combo.. i still drank it but wont be buying it again.

m3n00b said:
New belgium sucks in general.

I disagree.
They're not the best thing out there, but I wouldn't say anything I've had from them sucked. Just my opinion though.

Rolling Rock. Used to be a solid beer when I was in college 10 years ago. Sold to Bud and it's absolute dog piss now.

Rolling Rock. Used to be a solid beer when I was in college 10 years ago. Sold to Bud and it's absolute dog piss now.

If you are going that big, I would add Heineken to that list. If I wanted skunked beer I would leave my beer opened to the air in the sun!

Jumping in on DFH hate. Just had a 90 min the other night. Fresh bottle too. Under-attenuated, cloying, weird hop aroma. Their beers are just not drinkable and not good. And for Christs sake, just brew a new straight up beer for once. The "exotic wood barrel aged cardamom raisin carrot ale brewed with Egyptian goat berries" is getting tiresome.

If you are going that big, I would add Heineken to that list. If I wanted skunked beer I would leave my beer opened to the air in the sun!

Agreed. Heineken is like drinking boiled piss with a couple pounds of corn sugar for ABV.

Ditto. I told the neighbor a couple weeks ago to save up any brown pry-off bottles for me. She said she'd let her husband know, since she usually just drinks Heineken. I thought to myself "Hey, self, you haven't had a Heineken about 5+ years."

So I was at the grocery store and picked up a 16 or 22 ounce Heineken, forget what size it was (turned out to be about 16 or 22 ounces too much). Got home, grabbed a magazine, sat on the deck and poured myself a glass. Took a sip and vowed to wait at minimum another 5 years before I rechecked to see if they changed their secret ingredient from crap to not crap.

Jumping in on DFH hate. Just had a 90 min the other night. Fresh bottle too. Under-attenuated, cloying, weird hop aroma. Their beers are just not drinkable and not good. And for Christs sake, just brew a new straight up beer for once. The "exotic wood barrel aged cardamom raisin carrot ale brewed with Egyptian goat berries" is getting tiresome.

I admit I like the 90 minute, but I do admit it is under attenuated. But for $10 per 4-pack, no thanks, $8 for the 6'er of the 60 minute will do.

Is it possible that they use too many crystal malts in the bill?

Seriously doubt much has changed, and it's hard to imagine it has gotten much worse. I'd pat yourself on the back for having more refined and developed tastebuds than you did in college. I once (in college) thought Killians was a real micro-brew "cut above". That beer is an insult to Irish reds. . ..

Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz. The description says it's brewed with an obscene amount of malt and hops. They got the obscene part right. What an undrinkable beer.

Some kind of bacon smoked porter I tried last year at a beer festival in Quebec. To say it was godawful is an understatement. It tasted like sucking on a band-aid that had been roasted over a fire.

I also had a dead guy ale that must've been mishandled. It tasted like a whole team of sweaty football players had taken a foot bath in it.
I had that one too. Yuck

Back