carrot n ginger cider (ginger fear )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlos

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
gervin gv10 champagne
Yeast Starter
yup
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
enzyme
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1054 ish
Final Gravity
?
Boiling Time (Minutes)
none
Color
ginger
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
tb recorded
just made this yesterday so will update details when finished , taste before brewing was great just enough ginger to leave a tingling after taste , and a clean flavour of the carrots up there with the apple , almost citrusy

12.5 kg carrots washed
750gr ginger skinn and all
14l store bought apple juice no preserve
yeast enzyme
campden powder
champagne yeast
1 kg demerara sugar

juice carrots and ginger saving pulp separatly . should produce approx 2 gallon juice
add campden powder at 3/4 level tea spoon per gallon let sit covered for an hour or two
place pulp in micro mesh bag and squeeze out excess juice
add sugar and shake vigorously to dissolve
optional (place ginger pulp in pan of water approx 2 l and simmer. add to juice straining pulp. when done )

make a small starter with 1/2 pint or so of apple juice (warmed to about 22c)
add apple juice to fermenter with carrot juice and test grav , shake and swirl around to get some air in there and pitch yeast
add 1 or 2 table spoons of enzyme
stir in and seal fermenter
bubbling like crazy at 22c 24 hours later

Fg Very Low 990 Ish Very Dry , Will Probobly Sweeten , Cask Conditioning At The Mo As It Tasted Very Vinegary After The Fermentation
Waiting To See If The Flavour Adjusts In Time

I really want to make a version of this. I have a huge supply of pears and carrots and fresh ginger is quite cheap right now. I juiced up some pears and carrots and found they are great combined.

I plan on making up a 24l batch with the primary ingredients being:

16l pear juice
8l carrot juice
Champagne yeast
Light brown sugar - not sure how much yet
Yeast nutrient
Pectin enzyme of some sort
and finally fresh ginger juice

I want this to be sparkling and have a real bite. About 7-8% ABV would be fine.

Any ideas or thoughts on how much ginger to add? I bought 2kg but I think that may be generous. But I do want to have a good ginger burn. I will probably extract the juice from the ginger roots becasue I have an old school juicer that will do the trick.

Back