What to do in Atlanta?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
My girlfriend has planned a getaway to Atlanta for my birthday this weekend. March 7th-9th. We were supposed to play golf all day on Saturday 8th (my bday) but the damn weather has turned on us. Its only going to be a high of 45 on Saturday and 20 mph winds. Too cold for golf.......so I'm wondering what we should do? Any good brew houses to visit? I might as well just stumble around the city getting drunk all day. I'm also a chef so if there is an awesome place to drink and eat......all the better. I've never been to Atlanta and really didn't look around for much else to do since we were supposed to golf the entire time we were there. Thanks for any suggestions. :mug:

You could try getting mugged or perhaps beaten in an alley. :D

I grew up in Atlanta and cant imagine why you would choose it as a vacation spot.

But if you must, you could check out Underground Atlanta, the CNN center, Fox Theatre. You could go make fun of the nerds at my alma matter, Georgia Tech. Check out the Buckhead area for some good restaurants.

Ill add more if I think of anything else.

Additions:

Check out the "Sun Dial" restaurant. Probably one of the oldest and most famous restaurants in the city.

Also go the top floor of the Peachtree Plaza for a great view of the city.

Also go see Stone Mountain, just east of Atlanta. A lot of history there.

Oh yeah, duh...Georgia Aquarium. I think its the biggest one in the country.

IF the weather does let up and you decide to play golf, take a little drive east to play Cherokee Run golf course...you wont be disappointed, especially if you play a slight draw. Its an Arnold Palmer inspired course and just about every hole has a slight draw built into it. Jack would shoot 85 on it.

My favorite beer related places in Atlanta (or near by):

Atlanta Brewing Company
Sweetwater Brewery
Twains, nice brewpub in Decatur (a few miles east of Atlanta)
The Brickstore also in Decatur
Max Lagers
There is a Rock Bottom brewery in Buckhead and a Gordon Biersch in Midtown.

Non beer related:
Stone Mountain
Georgia Aquarium--you really should try to go here, really nice, might want to buy tickets in advance
There are also some historical places too like the Margret Mitchell house (if you are a Gone with the Wind fan) and the MLK National Historic Site.

Honestly, I would skip Underground Atlanta, CNN center, and world of Coke unless you are dying to see them.

Zoo Atlanta is also pretty nice but might not be nice in the cold.

+1 on The Brickstore and the aquarium.

If you do go to the Aquarium get there when they open to avoid the crowds. Weekdays are better than the weekends as well.

The Georgia Aquarium in Atl. is very cool! Little 5 points used to be a nice afternoon (I don't know if is nice now as I moved about 12 years ago). Plenty
of bar hopping and resturants in Buckhead. Check out Rocky's Pizza (if is still there) just south of Buckhead on Peachtree St. Out of this world brick oven pizza.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Looks like we may go to the Brickstore and Stone Mt. I'm sure it will be a good time.....it is my bday after all. Drunk on a nice selection of Belgians at the Brickstore sounds good to me. :ban:

Latest posts

Back