Any Thoughts on how this batch will turn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
With leftovers, and boredom I made this BIAB 3 gallon Blonde Ale

6 lbs pilsner

Mashed 60 minutes @ 150
4.5 gallons netted 3 gal batch

1/2 ounce Hallertau
1/2 ounce Nugget 60 min

1/2 ounce Fuggles 15 min
1/2 ounce Hallertau 5 min

Forgot Irish moss @ last 5 minutes !!

Used a small starter 1/2 cup DME with US-05

OG 1.040

Any brew that's mostly Pilsner really needs a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS precursers. With a 60 minute boil on this one, you may end up with some DMS off-flavors, kinda corn tasting.

Blondes typically only have a noble hop addition and possibly a very small flavoring hop addition to let the malt flavor shine through. This one is hopped more like an APA. Nothing wrong with that - I have a similar pilsner-based APAish ale in my fermenter right now, but this isn't going to taste like a blonde.

So, you made an APAish-hopped pilner-based slightly DMS cream corn ale :)

Hope it works out, but I'm a bit worried about that DMS!

ALSO, FYI, you typically don't need to make a starter with dry yeast, ESPECIALLY for a 3 gallon batch. Dry yeast has 2-3X more cells present than comparable liquid yeasts, and have plenty of cells for up to a 5-6% ABV 5 gallon batch. I'm certain you overpitched this batch by making the starter, which can lead to some off-flavors as well, most notably for S-05, it is going to virtually eliminate the slight fruity ester that the chico strain is known for that typically compliments the hop flavor/aroma. Basically, you are going to lose some of the complexity you would normally expect.

You should have just dumped the packet in, and you would have been fine.

^.... Thanks for the input. The boil actually went 65-70 minutes. (doubt if that matters)

Next time I'll just pitch the 05 dry........

At this point, if it's there, it's there. The only way to eliminate DMS precursers is evaporation during the boil and evaporation in the post-boil cooldown stage.

I opened my first bottle of one of these last night, was pleasantly surprised.....A very decent beer considering I did this with leftovers.....No off tastes or anything, very drinkable !......

Good to hear!

More proof that beer is very resiliant, and lots of the off-flavor scares are sometimes more boogyman than real issues, as long as you are paying at least a little attention!

Back