Dead Guy clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it's getting to be fall and I'm thinking about maltier beers for winter. I want to brew the Dead Guy clone again, but I don't have pacman yeast. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be a good replacement? I can ferment cool (around 60) and I loved that with the pacman.

Also, I last made it as a PM and now want AG. Here's my recipe:

13oz Belgiun Cara-Munich
13oz German Munich
7oz US Crystal 40 deg L

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)
1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.
I used pacman yeast.

o.g. was 1.066
f.g. was 1.018

Would it be good to use maris otter malt for the pale LME and DME? Should I increase the Munich and CaraMunich? I was thinking I'd mash at 154 or thereabouts.

I recently made my Dead guy using Marris Otter and so far so good. I also used 3/4lbs of Munich and CaraMunich and a 1/2lb of crystal. I don't think I'd add much more than that for the specialty grains even if going AG.

I used White Labs 041 Pacific Ale yeast instead of the Pacman. Here's what White Labs says about it:

"A popular ale yeast from the Pacific Northwest. The yeast will clear from the beer well, and leave a malty profile. More fruity than WLP002, English Ale Yeast. Good yeast for English style ales including milds, bitters, IPA, porters, and English style stouts.
Attenuation: 65-70%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium"

I had a very slow start to my ferment and have not tasted the brew since adding the yeast (I will be over the weekend so I'll let you know then how it is going).

I'm not sure about the yeast. You could go with US-05 and ferment in the lower 60's, no problem. It's clean like Pacman...and easy to use.

Yeah, Maris Otter would be fine to sub in for the extract. I use Glen Eagle's MO as my house base malt, and it pretty much rocks any style you can think of. You could stand to increase the Munich, but don't use more than a pound of caramunich unless you want even more weight/higher FG...especially if you're mashing at 154. I know DeadGuy is plenty sweet, so I think a pound of caramunich and mashing at 154 should be perfect.

Back