Coconut Porter......using rum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
So, I have a porter in the fermenter right now. It's going to be there for 5 weeks since I'm leaving on vacation in 2 and would rather it sit longer on the yeast than only 2 weeks. I'm turning this into a coconut porter and looking for ways to go about this. I read in another forum that someone actually used coconut rum (about 1/3 cup per 5 gallons) in order to achieve the coconut flavor. They did that because they didn't know the process and how much coconut to use. They said it actually turned out to be the best beer they've made.

So question, has anyone tried this? Pros or Cons to this method? Anyone know the proper amount of toasted coconut to use for a 5 gallon batch? I was thinking if I went that route, to use roughly 2-3lbs because I want a solid coconut flavor (This brew is being done for the ladies in the house and they love coconut!)

Suggestions appreciated!

I don't have the answer, but I've been dying to make a coconut porter for weeks. Haven't had a chance yet, partially because I've read that racking onto toasted coconut gives a flavor that may be "too subtle" for my desires. I'm considering both racking onto toasted coconut AND adding a spritz of coconut extract before bottling if it needs more coconutty oomph.

Subscribing ... can't wait to hear others chime in.

My current plan is to use cold-brewed coconut-flavored coffee (1/2 gallon per 5 gallons beer). It's the blend I use for iced coffee in the summer time, and the flavor is really, really nice.

A coconut porter is next on my list. After reading most of the threads on it, I was planning on using toasted coconut (more than most) and hoping for the best, but keeping a bottle of flavour extract on hand in case I feel I need it at bottling. I never thought about using coconut rum..

I like your coconut rum idea. I would probably try the toasted coconut first, and taste before bottling. If there is not enough "zing", then add some of the rum, or some coconut extract at bottling time. That way you get the "natural" flavor from the actual fruit, and can amp-up the flavor intensity as needed. It is the best of both worlds.

I've done it, I used Malibu Coconut Rum, worked like a nut, 2 cups for 5 gallons.
They did the work with removing the oils and all that so it was easy.

I've done it, I used Malibu Coconut Rum, worked like a nut, 2 cups for 5 gallons.

When did you add your rum?

Had my first Coconut Porter this weekend from Appalachian Brewing Company and it was awesome and something I'd like to brew up.

I don't have experience with the rum, but am making my second batch of coconut porter now and had debated it for the first batch. My thought at the time was to see how I liked it with only coconut, then decide if I wanted to add rum next time. I decided that I liked the first batch so much that I didn't want to mix it up any more. My base porter has a lot of different grains, so there's already complexity there. Oh... and I added toasted coconut flakes to the secondary the first time and will do that again.

As a suggestion, you could make a coconut porter, bottle half, then add rum to the second half.

I don't have experience with the rum, but am making my second batch of coconut porter now and had debated it for the first batch. My thought at the time was to see how I liked it with only coconut, then decide if I wanted to add rum next time. I decided that I liked the first batch so much that I didn't want to mix it up any more. My base porter has a lot of different grains, so there's already complexity there. Oh... and I added toasted coconut flakes to the secondary the first time and will do that again.

As a suggestion, you could make a coconut porter, bottle half, then add rum to the second half.

I don't have any experience with coconut beer, but it seems to me that you could soak your toasted coconut in a coconut rum for a day or two then pour it in the secondary and rack onto the mixture.

It works with vanilla and bourbon and you reduce the risk of infection by soaking the coconut in alcohol.

Good luck.

Thanks for suggestions guys. Ill keep researching what i want to do and report back. I have 5 weeks before kegging anyways.

I recently made a Coconut Porter and used a 1oz. bottle of Kroger's Imitation Coconut Extract. It gives the beer a nice aroma and flavor, especially if you like coconut.

NRS

Could adding the rum at bottling time introduce to much sugar along with your priming sugar? Possibly causing over carbonation? Just seems like the 40 proof coconut runs are sweet and sticky, I could be wrong.

Just curious because I brewed 11 gallons of coconut porter about two weeks ago and I just threw in a bunch of toasted coconut into the boil since I've been out of town and not around to put it in the secondary. If the original coconut flavor was lost during fermentation, maybe this rum trick might save me.

Yes. I put the extract in one cup of water with the priming sugar and boiled the solution for several minutes. Cooled and added to the bottling bucket.

NRS

What style of beer? Most of the posts here are talking about porter... Anyone try it in a wheat/wit style?

Looking for a good amount of coconut rum or toasted flakes to use with some pineapple extract.... You see where I'm going with this.

I used the coconut rum with a Dunkel recipe and it worked really well. I added the rum at bottling and just cut the priming sugar back maybe 20%. The carbonation was fine.

In Radical Brewing, Mosher says he used a whole fifth of tripel sec in a 5 gallon batch of beer to prime it.... Thinking that might be too much coconut flavor?

Latest posts

Back