Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought 4 more chunks of briar to make some new pipes but I haven't started yet. I bought two more tobaccos but I got laid up with rocky mountain spotted fever this week and haven't felt like smoking.

Its funny, I mentioned making pipes to my mom who found my grandfather's pipe and ashtray and sent them to me. Her sister heard and sent me her husband's lighter and her father in law's tamper. They've all passed so its cool to add to the collection.

I finished my new keezer and tried some lane 1q that I picked up. It was pretty good. My pipe smokes pretty well. I'm working on some intetresting shapes for the next ones and I'm going to tweak some of the drilling.

I finished my new keezer and tried some lane 1q that I picked up. It was pretty good. My pipe smokes pretty well. I'm working on some intetresting shapes for the next ones and I'm going to tweak some of the drilling.

Don't know what I'd like to see more. Pipe or your keezer build? Both!
Cheers!

Here's the keezer. Im still waiting on 2 more taps but its mostly done. 16 cu. ft. and it fits 8 sanke 5 gals, 1 half barrel and 5 5 gal sankes, or 2 half barrels and 2 5 gal sankes.

20160806_213437-67458.jpg

Here's the pipe i just finished with some cao black.

20160806_213700-67457.jpg

As a bonus, here is the pipe rack i built at the end of the bar.

20160806_215340-67455.jpg

And here is the humidor in progress. Yup, I'm building it out of an old control panel. I finished sealing it, working on the cedar lining and some electronics.

20160806_215257-67456.jpg

Working on my first weldless ball valve for my boil kettle and some C & D Autumn Evening

This may be the only time I regret buying such a high quality spike brewing kettle. I've already broken 4 bits and barely made a dent. I'm using lots of oil and low speeds and low to moderate pressure.

Worst part is due to the angle of the pipe in not able to smoke and work...

Maybe I'm just not well practiced at both endeavors...

Does i kill it with actual homebrew topics? Or was it just too hot to sit out and smoke a pipe for the rest of you. Work kept me from posting much, but I've had a few nice bowls since the last post.

*thump thump

Is this thing on?

Does i kill it with actual homebrew topics? Or was it just too hot to sit out and smoke a pipe for the rest of you. Work kept me from posting much, but I've had a few nice bowls since the last post.

*thump thump

Is this thing on?

Old threads never die, they just take longer naps. I've enjoyed reading your post and the pics sleep speaking. Keep it up!

Cheers
Dan

I recently picked up a couple of corn cob pipes (read cheap) and have really been enjoying McClelland FrogMorton's Cellar. Also have some Lane 1-Q (and other flavored stuff). Looking at a Briar Baraccini Tulip now unless someone feels the need to talk me out of it and why. :)

I recently picked up a couple of corn cob pipes (read cheap) and have really been enjoying McClelland FrogMorton's Cellar. Also have some Lane 1-Q (and other flavored stuff). Looking at a Briar Baraccini Tulip now unless someone feels the need to talk me out of it and why. :)

There's no such thing as too many pipes... also, glad to know you picked up some pipes, I have lots o samples for you to try

Does anyone have a recommendation for a fairly inexpensive but decent pipe? And where to get it? I want to get back into pipe smoking again because I really enjoyed it and get away from cigarettes again. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a fairly inexpensive but decent pipe? And where to get it? I want to get back into pipe smoking again because I really enjoyed it and get away from cigarettes again. Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

If you have a price range of what you're looking to spend I can give you better suggestions. A guy needs at least a few cobs to beat around with while working on things. From there it gets a bit trickier. A quick search had me find something I would jump on quick just now if I hadn't ordered a new custom pipe. This deal on amazon is pretty impossible to beat
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476661135.593621.jpg

If you have a price range of what you're looking to spend I can give you better suggestions. A guy needs at least a few cobs to beat around with while working on things. From there it gets a bit trickier. A quick search had me find something I would jump on quick just now if I hadn't ordered a new custom pipe. This deal on amazon is pretty impossible to beat
View attachment 373772

oh nice, thank you! I'll pick that up =D

My new pipe came in yesterday. The value of this guys custom handmade pipes is unreal. The bowl is made of bog oak also known as morta which is over 5000 years old, the shank is palm wood and this is by far the largest pipe in my collection. Pictures don't really show how massive this thing is, but is surprisingly light for the size.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1477281477.530120.jpg

My new pipe came in yesterday. The value of this guys custom handmade pipes is unreal. The bowl is made of bog oak also known as morta which is over 5000 years old, the shank is palm wood and this is by far the largest pipe in my collection. Pictures don't really show how massive this thing is, but is surprisingly light for the size.
View attachment 374696

is that a Don Warren?

made this for a guy in China. I did a two tone stain and left the rim naked.

FTFY. I'll just PM you my address and we'll work out the shipping cost later... ;)

By the way, where does one buy bits? I got a pretty sweet pipe several years ago but the bit broke when I foolishly let the pipe assembled when packing in my luggage a couple years later. I still use it occasionally with the bit for a rubbish pipe I bought online years ago (from deadmanspipes.com - guy bought pipes at estate sales, cleaned and polished 'em up, and sold 'em on his own website - it was awesome), but it doesn't fit properly so I have a bunch of ugly yellow electrical tape holding the bit and the briar together and sealing off the connection. I'm not a proud man and still smoke it from time to time that way, but man is it ugly! I've always wanted to get a new bit for it, but I've never known how to go about replacing it.

FTFY. I'll just PM you my address and we'll work out the shipping cost later... ;)

By the way, where does one buy bits? I got a pretty sweet pipe several years ago but the bit broke when I foolishly let the pipe assembled when packing in my luggage a couple years later. I still use it occasionally with the bit for a rubbish pipe I bought online years ago (from deadmanspipes.com - guy bought pipes at estate sales, cleaned and polished 'em up, and sold 'em on his own website - it was awesome), but it doesn't fit properly so I have a bunch of ugly yellow electrical tape holding the bit and the briar together and sealing off the connection. I'm not a proud man and still smoke it from time to time that way, but man is it ugly! I've always wanted to get a new bit for it, but I've never known how to go about replacing it.

Google pipe bits or stems. It helps if you know the ID of the bowls stem. Several places online to get replacement bits and or the tube to make your own.

I'm looking to make a briar pipe for my buddy it will be my first time making a pipe an am curious if you have any tips for the first time pipe builder.

Probably not a good thing that I found this thread. I have a few dozen pipes. People find out you smoke a pipe and, well, they just find their way to you. (Let's just hope there isn't a straight razor thread too. I'm afraid to look)

Probably not a good thing that I found this thread. I have a few dozen pipes. People find out you smoke a pipe and, well, they just find their way to you. (Let's just hope there isn't a straight razor thread too. I'm afraid to look)

There is a wet shaving thread that blends safety razors with straights.

I'm looking to make a briar pipe for my buddy it will be my first time making a pipe an am curious if you have any tips for the first time pipe builder.

get a kit from http://webshop.amsmoke.com/ or http://vermontfreehand.com/. always think about the stem and stummel as one piece when shaping and sanding. there's a lot of great information over at http://pipemakersforum.com/forum/index.php, but I suggest not asking questions there. they tend to look down on folks that don't spend two years reading the entire site before signing up. there's also a lot of good info on http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/.

Georgain Cream ...if youve never tried it, do.
Its one of America's oldest blends still available in its original pre civil war form, and is amazing.

get a kit from http://webshop.amsmoke.com/ or http://vermontfreehand.com/. always think about the stem and stummel as one piece when shaping and sanding. there's a lot of great information over at http://pipemakersforum.com/forum/index.php, but I suggest not asking questions there. they tend to look down on folks that don't spend two years reading the entire site before signing up. there's also a lot of good info on http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/.

Thanks for the great info!

made this for a guy in Florida. I did a two tone stain and left the rim naked.
IMG_20161106_171535653_zpsskcagbas.jpg

IMG_20161106_171935154_zpsavlu0s7y.jpg

IMG_20161106_172254040_zpsxjdiozem.jpg

Hot damn he's alive! That's a right fine pipe there bruv. You have come quite a way in a short period of time.

Yesterday I took some bulk blending tobacco I had bought and whipped up two blends.
An English blend
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1481130191.439336.jpg

And a Virginia blend
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1481130210.454826.jpg

Tried the English blend last night and am very pleased with it and expect it to get better with time

been making a Morta pipe for a guy. that's in interesting medium. I should be getting 2 blocks of Meerschaum soon. that's gonna be an interesting ride.

been making a Morta pipe for a guy. that's in interesting medium. I should be getting 2 blocks of Meerschaum soon. that's gonna be an interesting ride.

I love morta and meerschaum pipes. What has the learning curve been with the morta? I understand the stuff is really damn hard which I would imagine makes drilling and carving a challenge.

I love morta and meerschaum pipes. What has the learning curve been with the morta? I understand the stuff is really damn hard which I would imagine makes drilling and carving a challenge.

I use the drill presses at work, so drilling is easy enough. it's all the hand sawing and shaping. it's been easier hand cutting briar.

my wife got me a 10 pack of assorted cigars and some Blood Red Moon coffee from Pipes & Cigars. she also got me a pipe smoking zombie gnome. I got her a Darth Vader coffee mug. I need to step up my game.

Back