How long will reclaimed yeast last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewboar

Reaction score
How long will the yeast keep in the fridge after I have reclaimed it after brewing?

Most of what I have read is about 1 month, given good sanitation. I have heard of many months, my longest so far was almost 2 months. I make starters, and am beginning to start a frozen yeast bank.

I now have 4 five gallon batches made from one smackpack of Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

I recommend a starter, which will tell you if you have viable cells or not. Then you need to ensure you don't have contamination, for that I trust my senses. I do the sniff and taste test. If the wort doesn't smell funky or taste infected I will pitch it. I've also pitched two months after harvesting.

The yeast washing thread seems to imply that you could wash it and use it up to a year later. I haven't done it myself yet but was thinking of giving it a try this weekend.

The yeast washing thread seems to imply that you could wash it and use it up to a year later. I haven't done it myself yet but was thinking of giving it a try this weekend.

I have to read that again, but for a year I think that would involve freezing. Washing is basically to get mostly yeast saved without too much trub included,

I've gone 8+ months with no problem. and many others have gone over a year. Using the technique in bernies yeast washing thread.

I'm making a starter tomorrow for a year old batch and am not really anticipating a problem.

I just pitched an 18 month old jar of washed 3rd generation Wyeast 3787 Trappist high gravity (the Westmalle strain) on Saturday morning. Decanted and added about a pint of starter wort to an Ehrlenmeyer flask. Didn't bother with the stir plate, but shook it occasionally and by this evening (~60 hours) I had a nice clean looking 1 inch high krausen that passed the sniff test.

I've gone 4-7 months no problem. Just pitched a Kolsch reclaim that was 7 months old. But first built up a 2.5 L starter to get it revitalized.

Back