to late to re-pitch?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokiua4

Reaction score
so here's the deal.i brewed up a robust porter about 2 weeks ago.i typically end up around a .012 or so.my problem is 2 days after i brew the beer my wife went into labor and we had our first beautiful baby girl.so i've been pretty busy latley and am only now getting around to checking the beer and it is stuck at an .030.i tried stirring it back up but to no avail.i'm pretty sure it got to warm in my basement and it killed the yeast.so.... is it to late to try to repitch a new pack of yeast???and will all of this affect the flavour???

so here's the deal.i brewed up a robust porter about 2 weeks ago.i typically end up around a .012 or so.my problem is 2 days after i brew the beer my wife went into labor and we had our first beautiful baby girl.so i've been pretty busy latley and am only now getting around to checking the beer and it is stuck at an .030.i tried stirring it back up but to no avail.i'm pretty sure it got to warm in my basement and it killed the yeast.so.... is it to late to try to repitch a new pack of yeast???and will all of this affect the flavour???

You can try repitching. But a robust porter at 1.030 may be finished. What was the original grainbill and OG?

If it got THAT hot that it killed your yeast, you'll have a load of off flavours and it'll be awful and a waste of yeast to repitch. Maybe have some fusel alcohol in there as well.

If it under-attenuated, I see no problem adding more.

P.S. Congrats on the new born!

If the basement got hot enough to KILL the yeast, I'd be as worried about your house catching on fire as anything else! As Yooper said, it may just be done. Have you tasted a sample? Is it too sweet, or about right?

Briess 2 Row Caramel 40

1 lbs, 0 oz

Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt

11 lbs, 0 oz

Crisp Chocolate Malt

1 lbs, 0 oz

Briess Flaked Barley

0 lbs, 8 oz

Crisp Roasted Barley

0 lbs, 1 oz

Crisp Black Malt

0 lbs, 4 oz

Cascade Pellets

.5 oz @ 60 mins

Northern Brewer Pellets

1 oz @ 60 mins

Malto Dextrin - 8 oz package

8 oz

Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
the og was .068. like i said i've made this several times and usually end up around ..012

158 for an hour.batch sparge.my geuss is that the ferm temp prob hit mid 70s

158 for an hour.batch sparge.my geuss is that the ferm temp prob hit mid 70s

With a mash temp of 158, I'm not surprised if it finished at 1.030 with that grain bill. I guess I'm more surprised that the same beer finished at 1.012 before! I've never been able to get below 1.020 if I mash above 156, even with a very attenuative yeast. I think the mash temp is the issue, not the yeast. If your thermometer is even 1 degree off, you could have mashed at nearly 160.

Does it taste sweet? That matters ALOT. If it tastes sweet, it probably ain't done. If not, maybe the high mash temp messed it up.

so you sugestion is not to re-pitch???

You could if you're convinced it should go lower. But I don't think it'll work. I haven't had any high-mash temperature beers restart up with repitching.

If it doesn't taste right, you could try repitching first and as a last resort try amylase. I'd probably just live with it as is, if it tastes good, and mash lower next time.

Back