Need some recipe advice on a Chocolate Orange Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I am thinking about attempting an all-grain Chocolate Orange Porter next week, I have looked up some recipes and have seen a couple that mention to use tangerine peels. Does anyone know if they sell that in homebrew stores, or should I go out and buy tangerines and peel them myself? Obviously I have seen sweet and bitter orange peels, can anyone think of any benefit to using tangerines as opposed to that stuff? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how much to use? I don’t want it to be overpowering, but a subtle but noticeable hint of it.

I have been conisdering the potential for citrus fruit as well. I have not done it yet, but I have considered cutting the fruit itself into small cubes and toasting them in the oven. When they have a nice toast completed, I want to throw them into my boil in the last 20 minutes or so. Again, I have never done it, but I am considering it for a future brew.

I have not used orange peels in beer, but i have in mead and i can say, as far as that goes, its benificial to use only the orangey outer layer of the orange, and not the whit pith. The pith adds a gross bitterness thats takes a long time to age out. I also use the juice from the orange.

Latest posts

Back