End gravity question for my Honey Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azingsheim

Reaction score
I made a honey porter last week monday night and the start gravity was about 1.057 - 1.058. The recipe that I used called for a end gravity of 1.010 - 1.014. I just took a reading after 6 days in the primary and the reading was 1.020. Does this seem high after 6 days? Is it is is there something that I should do to help it along? I did a yeast starter and I used NB's new Neobrittania yeast. Thanks

give it a few more days to reach its fg. If i was you just reseal the fermenter, leave it for at least 24 more days. Dont mess with it anymore. Within a few days it will reach FG, but the yeast still have so much more to do. THey will clean up the byproducts of fermentation and give you a better cleaner tasting beer. Then when they are done, they will fall to the bottom and make a nice compact trub giving you a clearer beer.

When i stopped fussing with my beers, and let them finish on their own I started getting some better tasting brews.

As Revvy would say "Yeast have their own agenda, they dont follow ours" Give them plenty of time to do their job and you will be rewarded with a gold standard beer.

So no secondary?? Just leave in the primary for the full 30 days? I have always done secondaries in the past.

So no secondary?? Just leave in the primary for the full 30 days? I have always done secondaries in the past.

There is a big debate about whether a long primary vs secondary. Many of us on here do 30 day primary and skip the secondary. Keeping the beer on the yeast has many benefits including the trub compacting and the yeast cleaning up their by products.

Check out this thread for more info:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

I stopped doing secondaries and do long primaries, my beer has become so much better.

Latest posts

Back