Plastic One Way Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
Has anyone found a use for these things yet?

I got one at a club meeting today... I thought I'd read someone removed the spear but I can't find that post...

What the heck do they look like? I haven't seen one. Unless you're talking about the 5L aluminum kegs like the Heineken or Widmer kegs.

I'm not exactly sure what they look like but they are a Sanke made of plastic (I believe). They are designed for exported beer so that the brewery dosen't have to worry about getting their precious SS kegs back. Picture Picture!

11853845.jpg

Huh, I have never seen one, but have read about them being used in Australia.

I would use it as a coffee table. Just put a sheet of glass over it! Bam, isn't coffee table.

On a side note, my buddies just got a rubberized keg, I was trying to figure out if it was fully rubber or just coated, but it looked like more than a coating. Maybe just a inner ss lining?

I have a few of those, they are Baron's Black Wattle. You could use it for serving, but the spear is not removable (glued/plasticwelded) so it makes cleaning more difficult. I cut mine up and used them for planters.

Plastic kegs are not necessarily the same thing as disposable kegs (one way kegs) as they are talking about here. The kegs at Plastic Kegs America are designed to be reused. One way kegs are not.

So I managed to open the kegs Sanke connector. I simply grabbed the connector and twisted counter-clockwise.

OneWayKeg_2_600x450.jpg

Pull the spear out
OneWayKeg_3_600x450.jpg

Coupler and spear removed
OneWayKeg_5_600x450.jpg

Sanke connector on keg top with spear and coupler removed:
OneWayKeg_8_600x450.jpg

A shot with the camera pointed straight into the keg... you can see the bottom of the interior (yes that's the beer that was left behind):
OneWayKeg_6_450x600.jpg

It should also be noted that I have almost gotten the entire sanke connector disassembled. One more piece and the ball valve is free.

Now to size for a bung and clean this bad boy. It's my understanding it's 13.7 Gal U.S. So with 1 gallons of beer in it, I'll need a hoist to lift it.... I don't want to ruin my back....

Mine was ~8 gallons and was clearly marked One Way, yours is much different and looks like it has much potential.
-Ben

A local brew pub gave it to a fellow club member and it found its way to me...

I've got it all rinsed out. I've put 3 gal of hot water with Oxyclean and tsp. I'll do it again tomorrow and flip it to soak the inside of the sanke connector.

Back