Early retirement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kass_Brauhaus

Reaction score
Rambling time:

I am a PhD student. I've been in university since 2002, and I'm getting damn sick of it. I'm looking for part time work to change it up a little, but no luck so far (merchant mariner).

Can I quit and go straight to retirement? Can somebody tell me about a job where I can putter in a garage or woodworking shop all day? I'd start a brewpub but 1. no capital, 2. they're a dime-a-dozen in Denver, 3. I'm not that good a brewer.

Ok, phew. I'm done.

I had two jobs while I was in grad school (MSEE):

1) Lumber yard at the big orange box. I drove forklifts, used power tools, stacked wood, and helped folks with their construction projects. It was actually a lot of fun and the pay was better than any other retail I could find. The only downside was closing...you're there till midnight or later many nights which sucked when you had to be at school at 0700 for

2) Research/Teaching assistant. I taught freshman engineering labs and graded papers 5-10 hours per week. 15-20 hours per week I basically putteres about with DSP boards making them do fun stuff to work into lab assignments for a project my boss was heading up.

I didn't sleep much for a couple of years :fro:

I feel your pain I would much rather be at home making/ Drinking beer or something else but If I do that then I have to give up lots of other things like the nice TV/ Cars/ House/ food... sadly no one will pay me enough to quit a good paying computer job with good benefits to be a homebody...but I if I find some one to do it I will se how many opneins the have! :tank:

I'd go batshat crazy if I didn't have a job. I've had several really bad bosses over the past couple of years working at different companies but I'd have to say that at even the worst of times it beat sitting at home with nothing to do. That 3 month lay off 2 years ago was enough for me.
In times like these, there are days when I really have to stop myself from bitchin' because so many people are out of work. I try to keep that in my head so I can consider myself lucky. Might as well get used to it anyway. I did the math the other night and I won't be able to retire (as it stands currently) until I'm 72.

I was put out on early retirement due to a performance of duty injury. It was fun for about 1 year . When I knew the names of the soap opera cast I knew I needed to go out and get back to work .

Could you not get a MS now and quit school? Not nearly as easy to get a good job as with the Dr. tag but it sure beats a BS degree.

Oh, I'll finish. I'm too close to not. I know, I'm lucky to have a job and whatnot. Some days you just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's depressing. I hate sitting in front of a computer.

I have my merchant mariner's credential, but can't find a job. C'est la vie.

Geophysics - specifically the application of electromagnetics to unexploded ordnance detection and discrimination as well as mining and hydrology.

Amen.

The only problem is I really have 2 choices--The USGS (which may be fitting, the best homebrewers I personally know work there), and the Corps of Engineers. The problem with the Corps is that it requires me to move to the poorest congressional district in America.

Latest posts

Back