5 Weeks in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkeydude

Reaction score
I've been taking in all the NO SECONDARY threads lately and thought I would forgo the secondary with my cream ale and let er' rip!
It has been in the primary for 4 weeks this coming Sunday.

It's just now starting to clear (dumba** me got a little too much cold break while pouring into the fermenter). I'd really like to just keep it in the primary till it nearly clears (most likely another week)so as not to stir anything up and then keg.

Do you foresee any problems with just leaving it alone?

It smells REALLY GOOD! So, I'm anticipating no off flavors. Just a bit apprehensive.

I've gone over 8 weeks with no troubles, and my beer is clear as a bell. FWIW, I use a plate chiller, and all of the cold break ends up in the fermenter.

If you've got the means to do it, crash cooling a few days before bottling/kegging really helps. It encourages everything to drop out of suspension, and also helps form a firm cake on the bottom.

Thanks for the reassurance! I plan on crash cooling in my serving keg. I figure I'll just blow out what trub is in the keg and enjoy from there. I feel better now, if I had a home brew I would but, all I have is this Bud American Ale.

Pour out the Bud product and save the bottles for you homebrew. Buy something tastier and enjoy until your beer is ready.

Oh, and I start at 4 weeks in primary. Some have gone much longer, but I only secondary now if I'm running out of primary space or if I want a long dry hop.

I am drinking my cream ales by then. However, I make mine on the light side at 1.041-42SG.

I've left a wheat beer in the primary for 4 MONTHS with no problem at all. As I recall, that was one of the best beers I've brewed.

Drank a beer by EvilToj that sat in primary I think 9 months...

Excellent farking beer!

Back