wood barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
on craigslist here in michigan i found a fellow who has 20+ wooden 1/4 kegs from the 30's for $35. any chance of resealing them for use? without the services of a cooper that is.

There's no way I'd risk using an 80-year-old barrel for anything other than a planter. It's risky even using a barrel that's been empty for just a month. For one thing, You can't reuse a barrel in which wine has turned to vinegar; it’s impossible to get rid of the vinegar bacteria from the wood.

Commercial wineries spenf between $50 and $150 to have their worn out barrels shaved and re-toasted. Those barrels are however a known quantitiy. You have no idea how those barrels have been treated or even what's been in them.

I've heard of people using wax to seal up old kegs, but more for spot use on small leaks or seepage. I'd think 1930's kegs gotta be all warped & shrunk.

For $35 for all 20 - you could take the chance & become your own cooper. I'm sure with 20+ kegs you could do a little experimenting, what have you got to lose? Firewood? If it's $35 for 1.... well......

Time to make some Rodenbach Grand Cru ;)

You can use like near boiling hot water to help get the barrel sealed up again, but like others mentioned, you have no idea whats been living in that wood for the last near century. Why waste your time when you can get a known good oak barrel for like under 200 bucks...

Back