First AG batch tomorrow... simple question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
Hey everyone, tomorrow will be my first AG brew... I'm brewing a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone that I bought from AHS.

The kit instructions suggest the OG should be around 1.053 for a 5 gallon batch. However, taking my equipment into account, BeerSmith has the OG estimate at 1.045. If I want to get the OG estimate up to the 1.053 the kit suggests then I need to decrease the overall batch size to 4.25 gallons.

So should I just do the full 5 gallons and likely end up with a lower OG than the kit estimate, or should give up the 3/4 of a gallon and only end up with a 4.25 gallon batch?

I would go with the 5 gallon amount. The difference between what the kit says and what your estimated OG is will more than likely be due to the brew house efficiency that you have set in BeerSmith. You may come very close to what the kit says you should get. Also, make sure that you selected "All Grain" when you put the recipe into BeerSmith.

What is the recipe?

Lol I'm a dummazz... I totally misread/misentered the grain bill... Bill is 6 lbs of 2-row and 4.5 lbs of white wheat malt, I had only entered in 2 lbs of white wheat malt... b-dope... so now that I have the correct amounts in all is well.

Latest posts

Back