My First Brew - Airlock Bubbling, woohoo!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlongstar

Reaction score
My brother and I brewed our first batch last night, a "Brown Derby Ale" Newcastle-ish beer, and it was a blast. I didn't realize how much I learned from reading this forum the past couple weeks until I was teaching him all the steps involved. Thanks for all the help!

Unfortunately, my hydrometer was broken when shipped, so I wasn't able to get an OG. I'll just test it later when I get my new hydrometer to help decide when to rack to secondary.

Anyways, here's a video of the airlock bubbling this morning!! :tank:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8FO1-ys4VE"]Shlongstar's Airlock Bubbling[/ame]

Thanks for the video- very cool to watch. Isn't it funny how fascinating homebrewers find airlocks bubbling?

It sounds like it went well for you- welcome to the obession!
:mug:

Yeah, went well for my first brew day I guess. We'll see how the beer TASTES in a few weeks!

Airlock activity is DEFINITELY exciting, especially cause I don't have a hydrometer right now :)

Random question (that I couldn't find an answer to while searching) - does boiling hops usually smell like herbs? My parents used to boil chinese herbal medicines when I was a kid, and it smelled somewhat similar :)

I used Bremling (6%) 0.9 oz for the bittering hops, which is what mainly gave that odor.

Seeing the airlock bubbling for the first time is awesome.

congrats, i saw an airlock bubbling for the first time yesterday. it was pretty cool! especially since it happened so quickly.

I hear some n00bs actually place a stool near their fermentor so they can sit there and watch it go. Not saying that's what I did myself, just about two weeks ago, no sir. I also didn't fetch a worklight to shine on it so I could watch in near disbelief the contents swirling around and churning away in there like a washing machine. Well okay, maybe I did, but only a little. I also didn't take pictures of it every day...:)

lookatthatbabygo.jpg

Haha, heck yeah Airlock's rule! In the video it's bubbling about every 2 secs, but it's now bubbling every second... crazy! I hope this thing doesn't blow!

Whats with the maglite? No electricity? Brewing during a power outage? Must have natural gas stove huh? Did you stay up all night waiting?

Whats with the maglite? No electricity? Brewing during a power outage? Must have natural gas stove huh? Did you stay up all night waiting?

haha, the fermenter's in a closet and my light in there is really dim so the lighting was terrible when I first uploaded it to youtube. So I added the flashlight the second time around to actually see it better :)

Back