Quick JOAM Yeast Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I have everything to do a batch of Joe's. Except my wife could only find "Redstar" bread yeast. Will this be OK, or should I wait and find the Fleismanns? I am planning to make it per the recipe on "Gotmead.com". Thanks.

I don't think it should make any difference, and I've read some swear by Hodgson Mill yeast, which I actually prefer for breads. I think they just say not to use any of the rapid rise yeasts.

You may wish to see if Yooperbrew has anything to add on the subject, but if it was me I'd have no qualms about using Red Star.

That should be just fine. I don't know if there is any real difference between those brands anyway, but I don't really think the brand is that important.

bread yeast is bread yeast. either brand will give similar results.

having used bread yeast in the past, I'd avoid it for meadmaking, and suggest using a traditional high ABV ale yeast or very sweet wine yeast..something that craps out around 13% ABV.

Have a brew of this down for 3 weeks now.
Not a hope of meeting the correct yeast so used Tasti breadmakers, a dried yeast readily available here.
From day 1 just poking along at about a bubble every 10 seconds. No major foaming - smelled really great when I topped up the final water, so fingers crossed...

Back