Dry Yeast for Oatmeal Stout???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S-04 is really the best option for stouts. I really think that all the fermentis yeast is of a much higher integrity then any other dry yeast. S-04 will give you the english style yeast that is really suited for this style.

DIY Brewing Company said:
S-04 is really the best option for stouts. I really think that all the fermentis yeast is of a much higher integrity then any other dry yeast. S-04 will give you the english style yeast that is really suited for this style.

Agreed. That's why I've only used s-04 for my Oatmeal Stouts...

DIY Brewing Company said:

I'm pretty much sold on fermentis yeast as well ... haven't had a single bad experience with any of them. For a stout, I think you'd be good with any of the S-04 or S-05. I just made a mild and used S-33 on a recommendation from another board ... I'll see how it turns out.

Nottingham, Windsor, S33, S04 and US05 are all capable of producing a great brew...just depends on what profile you're looking for (esters, attenuation, ect).

I like S-04 for an English style stout while US-05 works well for the bolder American style stout. Nottingham would probably work well also. I usually prefer S-04 as I like the little extra sweetness it leaves.

Craig

I just used S-33 on a Double Oatmeal Stout. It is a kit and that's what came with it.
Still in the Primary.

i always use us-05 on my house oat stout. It gets it a bit dryer than us-04. 04 will tend to not attenuate down as much, and leave it a bit sweet. I like my stouts dry.

Latest posts

Back