Stirring during boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwibbidy

Reaction score
I have been extract brewing with steeping grains and am wondering when I add the hops at the start of the 60 min boil, should I Stir the whole 60 min or can I just leave it alone until I add my 15 min and 5 min hops

I only stir when I had DME, LME or other sugars. The boil will stir the hops for you.

I stir as necessary to get any hops on the sides back into the wort, and to knock back some potential boilover.

I usually add the LME right after I'm done steeping the grains, which is when I start to bring it to a boil as well, and then I've been adding my pellet hops in a hop bag, so they aren't really floating freely in the wort, should I do anything differently when using pellet hops in a hop bag? Can I still just tie the bag and leave it floating in the boiling wort for the 60 min without stirring?

Definitely don't think you need to stir the whole 60 mins. I normally stir in the DME and LME, and a few seconds during each hops addition (although I'm not sure that's necessary). Yesterday I brewed an IPA and decided not to stir in the hops additions at all... I did have a problem with some carmelization with about 15 mins left. Not sure if it was related, but I'll probably go back to occasionally stirring.

whoaru99 said:
I stir as necessary to get any hops on the sides back into the wort, and to knock back some potential boilover.

I'm the same way, I just try to keep the hops off the sides.

Back