Can you Brew It recipe for Flying Dog Raging *****

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

Just a quick reminder that all of this information is possible because of the hard work of Jamil and Tasty. Please listen to the show, whether live, on the Brewing Network website, or subscribe on iTunes. I credit much of my progress as a brewer to listening to the shows on The Brewing Network. If you enjoy those shows and the information, please consider donating. Also, please support the show's sponsor, Northern Brewer.

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1074
SRM 9.8
IBU 73.2
FG 1013

90 minute boil

7.55kg US 2-row 94% (did not specify the maltster)
480g Crystal 60 6%

Mash at 153F

28g Warrior 17% at 90'
6g Amarillo 11% at 15'
6g CTZ 15% at 15'
19g Amarillo at 0'
19g CTZ at 0'

WLP400

Ferment at 68F

The brewer added 6g gypsum to the mash and 12g gypsum to the boil.

just a quick reminder that all of this information is possible because of the hard work of jamil and tasty. Please listen to the show, whether live, on the brewing network website, or subscribe on itunes. I credit much of my progress as a brewer to listening to the shows on the brewing network. If you enjoy those shows and the information, please consider donating. Also, please support the show's sponsor, northern brewer

+1

OOOO!!!! this stuff just got discontinued in my area :(... good news is.. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

CTZ = columbus, tomahawk and zeus?

OOOO!!!! this stuff just got discontinued in my area :(... good news is.. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

CTZ = columbus, tomahawk and zeus?

Yes, you got the hops right.

You must be referring to my multiple personalities. We say your welcome.

Huh, this is very interesting to me. First off thanks to both the people who do the show and the person who posted this thread, I love reading about how different beers I've actually tried are created.

I was really surprised by this one, I guess mostly I expected a more complicated grain bill. For my first AG batch ever I started with a kit from midwest for a Belgian IPA, because I liked the Raging ***** and wanted something similar in style, plus I hadn't done anything with an ABV that high before and wanted to try.

That kit had all kinds of stuff in the grain bill. It had 8lbs belgian pilsner, 1.5lb wheat malt, 8oz cara-20, 4oz aciduated malt, and 1lb belgian candi sugar.

It is really incredible to me that something similar (and quite possibly better, the kit was good, not great) can be made so much more simply.

A wit yeast? That's very interesting. A bunch of people are using the abbey styles yeasts for ipa's, but a wit yeast is new. I'd love to know how this turns out.

I gotcha now. Yeah, I'm waiting for some feedback on this recipe too. I love the original beer. Hope this is indeed a clone.

I gotcha now. Yeah, I'm waiting for some feedback on this recipe too. I love the original beer. Hope this is indeed a clone.

Yup, its one of our favorites around here at "Castle Black" (me and my roommate). We have tried cloning it before and it really came out great but the recipe was tending more toward an American type, west coast IPA than a belgian. At any rate, I think this one is gonna be quite interesting.

If you make it please let us know, I am right behind ya.

Happy brewing and may the cloning continue!

I worked on a clone of this beer. I was pretty close but I split my 2 row between US and Beligian and based my hop schedule off a 60 minute boil. I also used WLP 550.
I was wondering what yeast Flying Dogs "Diablo" strain was. I was thinking about reculturing from thier Wit next time because I heard it also uses Diablo.
Haven't gotten a chance to listem to the show yet (planned for today)...can't wait!

Brewed a second batch of this on 5/13/11, OG; 1.076, FG now at 1.013 now, will probably bottle tomorrow evening. My first batch was in April, bottled on 4/30/12. I will 'highly recommend' this recipe! Awesome orange color & white head, strong Belgian yeast flavors combined with citrusy NW hops makes for a flavorful brew.

I worked on a clone of this beer. I was pretty close but I split my 2 row between US and Beligian and based my hop schedule off a 60 minute boil. I also used WLP 550.
I was wondering what yeast Flying Dogs "Diablo" strain was. I was thinking about reculturing from thier Wit next time because I heard it also uses Diablo.
Haven't gotten a chance to listem to the show yet (planned for today)...can't wait!

Way to dig up an old thread. Flying dog has released their Stove Topper Beer kits. They release a different one each month March was Raging ***** and this month is Woody Creek the wit beer. The yeast for both is their "Diablo" strain. as of now you can only get them at the Brewery and the LHBS in Frederick MD where they are located. I picked up both kits and plan on brewing the 2013 lineup you can see the line up on their website.

brewtime said:
Way to dig up an old thread. Flying dog has released their Stove Topper Beer kits. They release a different one each month March was Raging ***** and this month is Woody Creek the wit beer. The yeast for both is their "Diablo" strain. as of now you can only get them at the Brewery and the LHBS in Frederick MD where they are located. I picked up both kits and plan on brewing the 2013 lineup you can see the line up on their website.

Would you prefer milled or unmilled?

I'm a FD brewer and work a lot on these kits. I personally preferred milling my own when I was homebrewing. I'd like to see what you guys think. These kits are the exact replica of our recipes.

Would you prefer milled or unmilled?

I'm a FD brewer and work a lot on these kits. I personally preferred milling my own when I was homebrewing. I'd like to see what you guys think. These kits are the exact replica of our recipes.

I have a mill so it does not make much difference to me. The only thing I can control is the crush. and if I don't get to brew it right away then unmilled grains would last longer.

I imputed the RB kit into BeerSmith and I had to play around a little due to my system my OG 1.081 IBU's 64 and ABV 8.2. Not a big deal.

My question to you is the Gypsum do you split it between the mash and boil or does it all go in the Boil? Only being 40 Minutes from you I doubt our water is not that far apart.

brewtime said:
I have a mill so it does not make much difference to me. The only thing I can control is the crush. and if I don't get to brew it right away then unmilled grains would last longer.

I imputed the RB kit into BeerSmith and I had to play around a little due to my system my OG 1.081 IBU's 64 and ABV 8.2. Not a big deal.

My question to you is the Gypsum do you split it between the mash and boil or does it all go in the Boil? Only being 40 Minutes from you I doubt our water is not that far apart.

If the instructions don't specify I would split it.

The first time I brewed this it was very close but the mouthfeel was all wrong. The malt and hop profile was spot on but it didn't have the prickly effervescent mouthfeel of the original. I emailed the brewery and talked about adding the gypsum which I did not do, but also they carb raging ***** at about 2.75 vols. I made these changes on the next brew and it is spot on.

One other thing the brewery said their El Diablo yeast strain is wyeast 3944 Belgian wit. They said that it is the exact strain as el diablo.

phuff7129 said:
One other thing the brewery said their El Diablo yeast strain is wyeast 3944 Belgian wit. They said that it is the exact strain as el diablo.

Very close ;)

Brewed this yesterday...man what a long brew day. Between a very stuck sparge, a 90 min boil, and 80F ground water causing my beer to take forever to cool it just felt like it was never going to end. Either way I ended up with an 82% efficiency which I am very happy with and here is a pic of my a bit over OG. Did anyone else get a very very bitter wort out of this? The bitterness from that warrior just lingers and lingers, I hope it balances out.

IMG_20140610_211726333.jpg

IMG_20140610_211731850.jpg

Once it's ferments and is carbed it will be vastly different. You can't go by the taste of unfermented wort. This is one of the best recipes I brew and is close to the real thing and FD is in my backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Once it's ferments and is carbed it will be vastly different. You can't go by the taste of unfermented wort. This is one of the best recipes I brew and is close to the real thing and FD is in my backyard.

:confused:

In Firebat138's RB thread brewtime was so kind to post the Stove Topper brewsheet that is packed with FD's Raging ***** kit. Observe, there are no quantities listed for any of the ingredients, just a bag of this and that.

In that same thread brewtime also posted a RB recipe that apparently came off BeerSmith's recipe base. I'm still not sure what the true origin of that recipe is.

Please notice there are quite a few differences between Firebat's recipe, the "BeerSmith recipe" and the CYBI one above, the most glaring being the hop amounts and CYBI doesn't mention dry hopping at all.

I've brewed the "BeerSmith recipe" 2x, the last time pretty close to what was listed, except I pitched Belgian Ardennes (WY3522) instead of 3944 (Wit). I'm on the last day of dry hopping the batch, although I had siphoned out a gallon of early (short and agitated) dry hopped RB last week for an event. After the bit of hop bite subsided, I must say it's a really good impression of RB. FG is 1.010 down from 1.081 OG! There's enough sweetness left, while the dry hops and the bit of boozyness I detected earlier complement each other very nicely.

Here's why I'm puzzled. I just can't understand how the CYBI "clone" recipe can even compare, particularly missing the dry hops, which to my nose and palate are essential to this Belgian IPA.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

How active was your fermentation? I made a 3L starter and it seemed to be crazy active in the starter but now that I pitched krausen isn't very large and it seems pretty tame. Fermentation started very quick (within 12 hours) but it just seems much less active than most other yeasts i've used.

a bit of an update. Brewed this 16 days ago and my yeast has seemed to have given up. My current gravity is 1.034. It's still dropping but others have reported much lower gravity in this amount of time. Any suggestions for repitching? I got some harvested US-05 in the fridge? Thanks!

a bit of an update. Brewed this 16 days ago and my yeast has seemed to have given up. My current gravity is 1.034. It's still dropping but others have reported much lower gravity in this amount of time. Any suggestions for repitching? I got some harvested US-05 in the fridge? Thanks!

Damn, that sucks!

One course of action is to make a pretty large starter (2-3 liters) and add it to your fermentor when it's at full krausen/highest activity.

Instead, you could transfer the beer to a temporary secondary, then make a huge starter from the left-over yeast cake, to revive it, and when it reaches high krausen, rack the secondary back on top. Make sure all the temps are around the max for the yeast when you rack it back, to enable it to resume and finish.

You can make the starter from a small new batch of the same or similar wort as you used to make the large batch to prevent "dilution" if you're concerned about that.

Now what yeast did you use, WY3944/WLP410 (Witbier)?

My last batch finished at 1.010 using 3522 (Belgian Ardennes), second generation.

I used the suggested WLP400 Belgian Wit. Son of a biatch. I'm going to swirl the primary and raise temp to 75 to try and get it going again first. I hope I can save this beer, so far it's tasting amazing and it was a pretty damn expensive recipe.

Damn, that sucks!

One course of action is to make a pretty large starter (2-3 liters) and add it to your fermentor when it's at full krausen/highest activity.

Instead, you could transfer the beer to a temporary secondary, then make a huge starter from the left-over yeast cake, to revive it, and when it reaches high krausen, rack the secondary back on top. Make sure all the temps are around the max for the yeast when you rack it back, to enable it to resume and finish.

You can make the starter from a small new batch of the same or similar wort as you used to make the large batch to prevent "dilution" if you're concerned about that.

Now what yeast did you use, WY3944/WLP410 (Witbier)?

My last batch finished at 1.010 using 3522 (Belgian Ardennes), second generation.

I used the suggested WLP400 Belgian Wit. Son of a biatch. I'm going to swirl the primary and raise temp to 75 to try and get it going again first. I hope I can save this beer, so far it's tasting amazing and it was a pretty damn expensive recipe.

You're not using a refractometer to measure your FG, are you?

What temp did you ferment at? Did the temp drop suddenly, putting the WLP400 into dormancy prematurely? How did you oxygenate the wort?

Just pitching new yeast without it being very active (high krausen) will likely not resuscitate the batch since there's quite a bit of alcohol present.
I hope swirling and raising the temps will wake it up.

It took my last batch 4 or 5 weeks to finish, using WY3522 at 67°F IIRC. It was bubbling steadily, but slowly all that time.

Ok Ok...your last paragraph gives me hope. So to answer your questions...

1. No I am not using a refractometer, thankfully Im not that much of a n00b lol

2. No sudden Temp drop.

3. I used pure oxygen for 45-90 seconds...can't remember. Either way fermentation took off quite nicely, the buildup was just slower. At one point I had krausen into the blow off tube though and krausen is still stuck to the sides all the way up the neck of my carboy. I swirled and knocked some of it back down.

I am only a little over two weeks into fermentation so if your's took 5 weeks than maybe I am OK. I still have steady bubbling, my concern was the time it's taking to bring down the gravity. With most beers i've done, the gravity is within 2 points of my FG within 10 days and I just let it sit in primary for another 11 or so to clean up. Let me know if you have any other thoughts. Thanks so much!

You're not using a refractometer to measure your FG, are you?

What temp did you ferment at? Did the temp drop suddenly, putting the WLP400 into dormancy prematurely? How did you oxygenate the wort?

Just pitching new yeast without it being very active (high krausen) will likely not resuscitate the batch since there's quite a bit of alcohol present.
I hope swirling and raising the temps will wake it up.

It took my last batch 4 or 5 weeks to finish, using WY3522 at 67°F IIRC. It was bubbling steadily, but slowly all that time.

I am brewing this CYBI recipe this weekend and looking forward to the result!

I have ~50 all-grain batches under my belt and I don't typically worry about smells and little nuances along the way largely because my beers turn out just fine. However, I made a starter with WLP400, spun it for 24 hours and put it in the fridge to crash it out. Last night when I opened the fridge I caught a wiff of foulness and thought 'hmmmm...I wonder whats going bad?' I sniffed around for 10 seconds or so until realized it was the starter. For the record, I keep a hefe in regular rotation that uses WLP380 and while the fermentation produces some stank, I've never had the WLP380 starters smell funky like my current one with WLP400.

It's my first time using this strain so I'm most likely oversensitive but has anyone else ever noticed that with this strain?

As always, sanitation is on-point with PBW cleaning followed by StarSan.

Back