Need brewstand help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
Ok, I'm tired of hauling all my crap out of the apartment garage, through my apartment, through the glass door on my bedroom to my walled in patio to brew. I desired to go cheap and bought a cheapo push cart from harbor freight. The problem is that the cart is advertised as 24x36. It's not. It's 24 3/4 wide which is 1/2 an inch too wide to get through the door. So, what to do? I had sort of wanted to permanently mount the burners and actually brew on the cart. I live in the Air Capital, do surplus aluminum extrusion is cheap. I've thought about making a bolt together aluminum platform cart. Would this be a problem since I'm using propane burners?

I'm assuming you're talking about their steel cart which states 24" *tray size* - account for the metal thickness and there you go. A bit of misleading advertising but lesson learned: measure everything 3 times at least. In a brewstand build there isn't a ton of latitude.

There are a few people who've built aluminum extruded stands without issue so I see no reason why not. There's a cart @ Agrisupply with burners mounted already that might be your answer.

jcaudill said:
I'm assuming you're talking about their steel cart which states 24" *tray size* - account for the metal thickness and there you go. A bit of misleading advertising but lesson learned: measure everything 3 times at least. In a brewstand build there isn't a ton of latitude.

There are a few people who've built aluminum extruded stands without issue so I see no reason why not. There's a cart @ Agrisupply with burners mounted already that might be your answer.

Where I got into trouble was there is a 3/8 or so inch bead rolled into the trays edge for strength. It looked like it was on the inside of the tray in the pictures I saw, but obviously was not. I have 90 days to desire if I like the cart anyway with the harbor freight warranty.

Yep makes sense. Only point I was trying to make is trust nothing :) I don't even care if it's rigid tubing - measure the junk! Everything that's manufactured has some tolerance range and sometimes that can screw you.

But onto actual solutions - if you're in a tight space: http://www.agrisupply.com/Burner-Gas-Cooker-Cast-Btu/p/48591/&sid=&eid=/. You'd have to modify it a bit more than likely but it's a cheap start and seems to be in your size range.

jcaudill said:
Yep makes sense. Only point I was trying to make is trust nothing :) I don't even care if it's rigid tubing - measure the junk! Everything that's manufactured has some tolerance range and sometimes that can screw you.

But onto actual solutions - if you're in a tight space: http://www.agrisupply.com/Burner-Gas-Cooker-Cast-Btu/p/48591/&sid=&eid=/. You'd have to modify it a bit more than likely but it's a cheap start and seems to be in your size range.

It would be a bit difficult to fit kegs onto that I would think. I already have two SQ14 burners. I may just make a frame for them. Bolt them down and pull it around by a chain or something. I just don't want to haul the stuffy hand anymore.

Cut the rolled edge off the cart with a grinder or sawzall. If your worried that you'll be weakening the cart to much then bolt on some of that extruded aluminum under the tray on the edges that you cut down.

yjfun said:
Cut the rolled edge off the cart with a grinder or sawzall. If your worried that you'll be weakening the cart to much then bolt on some of that extruded aluminum under the tray on the edges that you cut down.

I might try that. I was looking at the door too. There is a huge rubber bumper that may get cut up a bit to allow the door to open up a bit more. It was a bad day at work and I have beer to transfer tonight, so I'll try that tomorrow.

Back