Four in the ground!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieBrewer

Reaction score
Planted my four crowns I got from Great Lakes Hops last night. Two Cascade, one Centennial, and one Chinook. Haven't found a lot of info about hops in NC, so I'm flying a bit blind, but hey, I like an adventure!

Cascade does really well over here in Durham, as well as Crystal and Centennial. I don't have any experience with Chinook, but my Norther Brewers have never taken off very well, so I guess some really don't like our 100F summers!

I have 8 varieties in the ground I got from Great Lakes...I hope they do good..

Brewers Gold
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Colunbus
Magnum
Mt Hood
Nugget

It should be after the last frost of the season, since likely you'll be planting the rhizome with buds on it. Lots of ways to do it though, that's just the way I learned.

These are crowns. I asked the lady at GLH and she said I might lose a few buds with a frost, but when spring rolls around they should still take off...

I hope.

Those crowns they sell are huge...My cascade wants to grow already...I had to cut 3 -foot long bines off of it a month ago...all of mine have green buds on them but are dormant and under piles of pine needles! I hope to make my deck look like this.........

hops off deck!.jpg

Back